boot device sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
I am helping a friend of mine build a computer and we have everything set up correctly hardware wise. As far as the boot sequence we set the dvd drive to boot first then the hard drive, which i am sure is correct. When we put in the OS disk (windows XP) it says insert proper media or something like that. And no it is not a pirated copy. I remember this happening when I built mine and the solution was tough but I just cant remember how to do it. Thanks!

I only ever use 1 boot device. If im formatting I change it to my rom, if not its boot of the C: drive. I would turn yours off and just make boot 1 your cd-rom and see if that works. Also you might need a cd-rom instead of a dvd. Ive had problems before getting a dvd drive to read the xp cd but once I put in a cd-rom it took right off.

you have to press a random key for the xp disc to boot. i have seen cases where it fails to print the normal "press any key to boot from cd" message on the screen. my guess is that if that is the case and you haven't pressed a key (around the time it says something like booting or checking cd/dvdrom) it is then trying to boot from the hdd which has no OS on it, hence the "insert proper media" message.

I think that key is F4 I suppose. Atleast in my mobo. There I shows all the boot devices and you can select where to boot from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom