boot but no response, screen is black and pc runs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Talking boot but no response, screen is black and pc runs

well as some of you know i just bought this new rig(check sig)
i installed ubuntu and it sort of ruined my whole computer where it would not let me boot into windows or anyhting

I slap a xp disc in as soon as i got out of the bios pc restarts after restarts. so i got it down and turn power off clear cmos and what not. then i got into installing windows and then when xp restarts it turned off and started restarting agian and again. after playing with the ram i then take out everyhting exept one stick of ram, hdd, cd drive and vid card. then i installed xp so then i booted into xp and was in the process of installing vista. So installling vista it started restarting again and again, i clear cmos and reboot and get it to install vista. then reboting it starts doing the same thing. so i clear cmos and then reboot. and it wont get past anyhting, no screen now either. now im stuck because it strats up and fans turn on, but no screen shows. the ram usually shows llights and the led's move around when its working but they will not show and led's so im assuming their not responding. it wont even get into the bios i cleared cmos atleast 20 times by taking out batty and shorting the pins. it will run forever but no screen or anyhting.

so im taking your experience in what could be wrong. I dont get how something can go wrong after a software problem though, and it wont even get into the bios, i know its not the video card or screen because whenever it gets into the bios the ram led's light up and strts moving erratically

Video Card : asus ati 4890
Hdd: 250gb wd 7200 sata, 160gb seagate 7200 sata
Moniter: western digital 19" 5ms
Psu-OCz 700watt modxstream
watercooled cpu
custom antec case
Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: boot but no response, screen is black and pc runs

Ubuntu didn't cause your problem. The problem was that you installed Ubuntu before Windows, and you should always install a Windows OS before any Linux distro. So know the GRUB bootloader is still on there and its messing with Windows. Thats the short of it, but as to fix it, someone like Mak or Hefe or someone will have to give you those details, which will probably entail using a GParted live CD to reformat your drive and start fresh.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: boot but no response, screen is black and pc runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Ubuntu didn't cause your problem. The problem was that you installed Ubuntu before Windows, and you should always install a Windows OS before any Linux distro. So know the GRUB bootloader is still on there and its messing with Windows. Thats the short of it, but as to fix it, someone like Mak or Hefe or someone will have to give you those details, which will probably entail using a GParted live CD to reformat your drive and start fresh.
i installed it after xp and vista, btw in found the problem, and ubuntu did cause a problem it said grub error , it was working great till the one day.

I used a 4 pin to 8 pin cpu adapter that was completly fried, it smeled bad, so i cut the wires and soldered than instead of pins, problem fixed for now

im going to buy new ram a new psu because the one i got is missing a major cable, another 6 pin which i need, it has only one
Video Card : asus ati 4890
Hdd: 250gb wd 7200 sata, 160gb seagate 7200 sata
Moniter: western digital 19" 5ms
Psu-OCz 700watt modxstream
watercooled cpu
custom antec case
Closed Thread