On-board Graphics

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I posted in a different sub-forum recently:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-10-activate-motherboard-278867/

The motherboard that I ended up swapping into my system is an MSI, #CSM-B85M-E45. I eventually did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, used the "activation troubleshooter", and was able to successfully activate with my Windows key even though the new hardware was in there of the motherboard.

Now, a curiosity inquiry that's hardware related.....

I already have a PCIe nVidia-based EVGA graphics card. However, this particular motherboard happens to have integrated graphics (with an HDMI port in the rear).

I'm perfectly happy with my EVGA card, but, just thought I'd want to check out and see how this integrated graphics is on this MB. I've used on-board integrated audio/ sound cards for years (some great sound!!!), but never an integrated graphics card.

In this MB's BIOS, if you want to use the on-board graphics, there's a setting you enable (IGD - Integrated Graphics Display, as opposed to PEG - PCI-Express Graphics Device). But I'm a little confused because the MB's manual doesn't state something explicitly.....unless I overlooked it :eek:

I went into the BIOS (while my HDMI cable was still plugged into my EVGA card) and I switched the setting/ enabled the IGD. As I Saved Changes & rebooted, I quickly switched the HDMI cable to the HDMI port for the integrated graphics.

However, as the system booted up.....my monitor displayed no picture: No source found.

I switched back....and back & forth, and at one point I must have messed something up because no matter which HDMI port I plugged into (integrated or my EVGA card), there was no image on-screen!!! My system had booted up, everything was running in my tower case....but I could see nothing!!! Arrrggghhhh!!! :eek:

I ended up pulling my CMOS battery to reset the MB, plugged back into my EVGA card, and all is alright.

So, the part that I think my MB's manual doesn't state explicitly: If I want to use the integrated graphics (IGD), then do I have to remove my EVGA card entirely from my system? Disconnect its cables and remove from the PCIe slot?

If I leave my EVGA card in, but enable the IGD, would that mean I have to plug in an additional monitor, and then have, say, like Extended Desktop? Or duplicate?

But if I want to use just the integrated graphics card alone....do I disconnect my EVGA card entirely and remove from the PCIe slot?

Thanks for any info,
Pez

Back
Top Bottom