Bluetooth dongle - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Bluetooth dongle

Hey all,

Ive got myself a bluetooth dongle which i plug into my USB.

the problem i have is, when the computer restarts or i shut it down and the start it again, the bluetooth dongle is not recognized as being in the USB slot.

Now I'm thinking this is a problem with USB whereas it doesn't recognize devices plugged in during startup.

I would like the bluetooth adapter to sit at the back of the computer because i use it for synchronization but i can't so each time i have to plug it in and out.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to M4A1

I've heard bad things about Bluetooth dongles. If you have a PC, have you considered getting a wireless card you can put inside your PC? Or, if you have a laptop, maybe a network PC card? It's probably cheaper than the USB dongle anyway... plus you get to have another free USB slot

To check to see if your USB drive is in fact defective, put another USB device into the slot, restart, and observe. If you have USB mouse, try putting that. If it can recognize it after the reboot, then its just the Bluetooth dongle's fault. You can also try a thumbdrive, basically anything that uses the USB interface

Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah the actually slot is fine, it works the same on all slots.

It just doesn't recognize the USB dongle after i restart or a cold boot.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Try opening up your Task Manager, and closely looking at the processes in there. While watching, plug in the dongle and see what process(es) get started up when it is inserted. Take it out, find where those processes are open, and add them to the startup apps on windows load.

Hope it helps :-/
Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by M4A1
I've heard bad things about Bluetooth dongles. If you have a PC, have you considered getting a wireless card you can put inside your PC? Or, if you have a laptop, maybe a network PC card?
it is bluetooth, not network. usually used foe connecting to PDAs, tablet PCs and mobile phones.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to M4A1

Woops, I misread it - I meant wireless USB dongles, to catch the wireless network. Disregard what I said up above.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex81388
Try opening up your Task Manager, and closely looking at the processes in there. While watching, plug in the dongle and see what process(es) get started up when it is inserted. Take it out, find where those processes are open, and add them to the startup apps on windows load.

Hope it helps :-/
Yeah good idea, ill give that a try

Closed Thread