Blue Screen Of Death On Boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Blue Screen Of Death On Boot

I got careless during a weekly defrag and decided to browse the net, I downloaded a few things, looked back at the defrag status and it was running very slowly, I stopped it and decided to reboot before starting again. On the boot however I got a blue screen error stating: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

This happens in whatever mode I try to boot up in and occurs before I reach the account selecton screen.

XP Home SP2
P4 2.66GHz
Geforce 6800XT (unlocked/overclocked)

Is there anyway out of this other than a format? I do a yearly format of my PC, the last one was only back in September.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Try this:

Damaged File System
If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:
1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.
P4 3.2
Closed Thread