Blue Screen of Death - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Angry Blue Screen of Death

Ok guys, I keep getting this blue screen of death, aka random reboots. It did it to me a couple of times and this time, I turned of automatic restart to catch the message. This is what it said:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread cruical to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop errpr screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software maunfacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems contnue, disable or remove any newly insatlled hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89CBE800, 0x89CBE974, 0x805D11F8)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

How do I solve this problem, I knew I saw it somewhere on this forum but can't find it. I only have one month until school starts.

B.S. in Computer Science
Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon
Default Re: Blue Screen of Death

I am not positive, but I would suspect a memory issue from that last part about the physical memory dump.... Maybe try running the computer with 1 stick of RAM... if you get the BSOD again, move it to another DIMM slot on the motherboard.... if it comes again, try the other DIMM the same way...

I am not certain that is the issue though... Did you install any new hardware/software recently???

XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

When your PC crashed it created a file known as memory.dmp. Unless you've changed it you'll find it in windows/memory.dmp

Copy it to another PC if you can, then install these debugging tools from MS
Debugging Tools for Windows - Overview
Those will let you read the memory.dmp and tell which process caused the failure.

There's also a folder called minidump that has several smaller, similar .dmp files, as sometimes your PC has to dump parts of memory without actually crashing.
ECS (pile of crap) Mobo
1.5 GB Corsair PC3200
Soundblaster Audigy Pro
Windows XP Pro, Lemming Optimized.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I sometimes get it when I try to run a film from my external hard drive.
8GB Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 1600MHz -- 2x XFX ATi Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Question Re: Blue Screen of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal_Dragon View Post
I am not positive, but I would suspect a memory issue from that last part about the physical memory dump.... Maybe try running the computer with 1 stick of RAM... if you get the BSOD again, move it to another DIMM slot on the motherboard.... if it comes again, try the other DIMM the same way...

I am not certain that is the issue though... Did you install any new hardware/software recently???
Yes, a wireless PCI card, it started doing this after I installed it. But the thing is, the internet works real well, is there some type of memory test I can do if that is the case?
B.S. in Computer Science
Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackledPhoenix View Post
When your PC crashed it created a file known as memory.dmp. Unless you've changed it you'll find it in windows/memory.dmp

Copy it to another PC if you can, then install these debugging tools from MS
Debugging Tools for Windows - Overview
Those will let you read the memory.dmp and tell which process caused the failure.

There's also a folder called minidump that has several smaller, similar .dmp files, as sometimes your PC has to dump parts of memory without actually crashing.
I can not find the file memory.dmp but I did find the minidump folder you was talking about. Starting to regret building a computer and just used the money to by a good one from best buy, school is around the corner and I have no time for this to be happening, maybe I should just call the computer shops and see how much they charged to get this fixed, it seems too many people are trying to get me to do too many different things to solve this problem, there must be a better way or easier way.
B.S. in Computer Science
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Oh, blue screen of death? When mines pop-up I know it's my hard-drive. When it does happen, I have not yet gotten a chance to back up any of my files so there goes everything.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Is there some type of test, like I know of the memory test, but is there any other types of test, or should I just take it to a shop and have them figure it out?
B.S. in Computer Science
Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio1080 View Post
Is there some type of test, like I know of the memory test, but is there any other types of test, or should I just take it to a shop and have them figure it out?
Don't bring it to a shop, usually they'll try to make a lot of money off of you by giving you faulty directions. Did you back-up your files? If you did, then might as well reformat your whole Hard-Drive.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Question Re: Blue Screen of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucng_10 View Post
Don't bring it to a shop, usually they'll try to make a lot of money off of you by giving you faulty directions. Did you back-up your files? If you did, then might as well reformat your whole Hard-Drive.
I really don't have anything on the harddrive because i just hooked it up, but how do I reformat again, I forgot?

B.S. in Computer Science
Closed Thread