Blu-Ray won't format in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I'm using a SONY Blu-ray Burner SATA BWU-500S on Win7 64 bit. I am able to get it to run movies, but I haven't had any luck at all using it as a storage medium. Whenever I try to format a disc, it fails, and whenever I try to run a backup (using Windows Backup or Acronis), it fails.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

What error(s) do you get when trying to write to the disc? What program are you using to write to it (try IMGBurn).

Also, gotta ask, are you sure the disc you're trying to write to is writeable (or rewriteable)?

The BluRay discs say "BD-R, 25GB recordable". When I try to format it, it says "Windows was unable to complete the format," which causes Windows Backup to tell me to insert media larger than 1GB. I was also using Acronis, which said it was unable to format. I tried this on a few different discs just to make sure it wasn't a faulty one, and it didn't work on any of them.

It's likely that Windows doesn't support burning to BDR - but I checked and Acronis 10 and 11 do (source). Which version are you using?

You can not format a BD-R, The "-R' Stands for recordable which can only be written to once. The format command basically erases the disc so it can be used again. You need a -RW disc in order to format.

As for windows backup it is most likely a compatibility problem as Yami said. Try 3rd party backup options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom