Blu-ray Disc Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I've had a DVD/ RW ROM drive for years, and now I want to move up to a Blue-ray Disc drive.

I saw a model I'm interested in, name-brand of Plextor, # PX-B320SA. I looked at the system requirements on the box for Hi-Def Blu-ray disc playback:

CPU: Pentium D, 3.4GHz or higher
Memory: 1 GB or higher
Graphics Card: HDCP capable graphics card with 256MB RAM or higher, PCI Express x16, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 32 bit color

I have:
Intel Q9450, 2.66 GHz per four cores
Windows 7 Ultimate
4GB RAM
nVidia 9800 GX2

I believe I meet and exceed the requirements. However.......the only concern I have is the resolution.

My monitor is a Sceptre LCD widescreen/ flatscreen, model X20WG Naga. Its "native" resolution is 1680 x 1050.

Is my resolution going to be a problem? The Plextor's requirements I listed above ask for 1920 x 1200. My graphics card of the GX2 is capable of up to 2560 x 1600, but like I mentioned, my monitor's native resolution is 1680 x 1050.

The whole point of me getting a Blu-ray drive is for watching movies on my computer in sharp detail. If I'm not going to get the incredibly sharp detail.....then what's the point?

So what do you think, everyone? Will Blu-ray playback look good for me according to my system specs and the drive's requirements?

Thanks for any feedback and info.
Pez

I hear ya, Slay!! Blu-ray movies probably would look really good on that Samsung monitor :cool: (You getting kickbacks from Samsung? <wink-wink>)

But a new monitor is not in the budget right now, just the Blu-ray drive IF things will look good on-screen.

Anyway......when you say it will "probably still look good"........do you perhaps mean it will only marginally look better? If I'm not going to get that vibrant color and incredibly sharp detail of a Blu-ray.......then perhaps I should wait until I can get a better monitor?

I could still get the drive and "try it out"; the store said it's returnable for thirty days with no restocking fee. But I could save myself the back-and-forth trip.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Pez

Unless your monitor supports High Definition a Blu-ray drive will only offer marginally better quality than a DVD, if you have a good monitor. I have a 28" High Def monitor here at the house and Blu-ray looks great. At my office I have a decent 22" wide screen 1680 x 1050 monitor with a Blu-ray drive and I can't really tell a difference.

If you do buy the drive make sure it comes with software to play movies. The 1st drive I bought was a OEM drive and I ended up having to buy WinDVD 9 Blu-ray Edition for an extra $100.

Personally, I think you should save up and buy a nicer monitor 1st. I think you'll see a significant improvement in your DVD movie experience with the Samsung above plus you'll be Blu-ray ready.

This monitor is out of stock right now but I know a few people that have one and are very happy. Maybe it will come back in stock soon :D

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2433BW High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1(1000:1) - LCD Monitors

Just an FYI, I have a Blue-Ray player on my PC, and I have a 19' LCD monitor that will not display the Blue-ray movies because its clams to not support HDCP Secure output.. my LDP HD Projector does how ever so I have to drag the movies onto that screen to get them to play.. It could however be my Blue-Ray video software from Coral blue-ray 9 edition... but beware you of your monitor not being HDCP compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom