Blu-ray With 6870 - Help :) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Blu-ray With 6870 - Help :)

Hello,
I am having a bit of trouble with my blu-ray drive. It can play older blu-rays but not newer films like the dark knight.
I have a ASUS 6870 graphics card, it seems to be something to do with the drivers but I cant seem to find anything.
I am running on a 24" monitor with a HDMI input - Monitor is HDCP
Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Blu-ray With 6870 - Help :)

Bump , Any help

Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Please wait 24 hours before bumping. You are still on the top of the forum.

AFAIK, your graphic card has nothing to do with your Bluray drive. The drive itself sends video to the graphic card. The graphic card just projects the video.

Are there different grades of Bluray discs?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not to sure, bump

Bump again, need desperate help
Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lady Techie

First thing I would do is update your GPU (graphics card) drivers to the latest version if they haven't been already. You'll be able to find them on the AMD website - those Blu-Rays might need more recent drivers to work in the case of an HDCP update.

Another possibility is that the newer Blu-Rays are using a newer type of copy protection that your BD-R doesn't know how to decode. In all likelihood, the BD-R drive's manufacturer has made new firmware for the drive so that it can decode the newer protection type.
Install the latest firmware for your Blu-Ray drive. Google
'[your blu-ray drive's model and manufacturer] firmware'

The only other solutions I can think of are workarounds such as using http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html, but we're not allowed to help you with that.

Quote:
AFAIK, your graphic card has nothing to do with your Bluray drive. The drive itself sends video to the graphic card. The graphic card just projects the video.
Not quite true - you need an HDCP-compatible GPU to output any video+audio from a BD-R. So it's quite possible that a driver needs updated somewhere.
Quote:
Are there different grades of Bluray discs?
There are different regions, and single/dual/triple/etc. layer discs, though it's really just the region that makes a difference.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
First thing I would do is update your GPU (graphics card) drivers to the latest version if they haven't been already. You'll be able to find them on the AMD website - those Blu-Rays might need more recent drivers to work in the case of an HDCP update.

Another possibility is that the newer Blu-Rays are using a newer type of copy protection that your BD-R doesn't know how to decode. In all likelihood, the BD-R drive's manufacturer has made new firmware for the drive so that it can decode the newer protection type.
Install the latest firmware for your Blu-Ray drive. Google
'[your blu-ray drive's model and manufacturer] firmware'

The only other solutions I can think of are workarounds such as using SlySoft AnyDVD HD, but we're not allowed to help you with that.

Not quite true - you need an HDCP-compatible GPU to output any video+audio from a BD-R. So it's quite possible that a driver needs updated somewhere.There are different regions, and single/dual/triple/etc. layer discs, though it's really just the region that makes a difference.
Thanks for this, I am still having a problem. I have the latest graphics drivers, and I believe I have the latest firmware for the drive itself. Any other things I can do.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Try playing the blu-ray on this program,
DAPlayer - Free HD Bluray Video Multimedia Player Software

I had trouble finding a program to play my blu-ray disks, and this program worked flawlessly, and best of all it's free.
If you can play the blu-ray's on this program, I would suggest looking for an update to your Cyberlink.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strealy View Post
Try playing the blu-ray on this program,
DAPlayer - Free HD Bluray Video Multimedia Player Software

I had trouble finding a program to play my blu-ray disks, and this program worked flawlessly, and best of all it's free.
If you can play the blu-ray's on this program, I would suggest looking for an update to your Cyberlink.
Thanks, I'll try that out when I get home; Cyberlink can be a pretty awful program at times.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Closed Thread