Blown Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
Hi guys, just fishing for suggestions really, I have a PC here that I think has a blown motherboard.
Apparently it was just turned on one morning and nothing happened.

haveing taken the side panel off I can see the the CPU fan does not spin when the computer is powered on, infact nothing shows any real signs of life. having taken the mobo out of the case to eliminate any posibility of short outs i noticed a very quiet static coming from the PC Speaker with a poor excuse for beeps that your really have to strain to hear.

I've checked the PSU and voltages are within tolerance, i've checked the CPU fan and its fully functional.

?

Only the PSU works? If the hard drive doesn't work, the PSU is at fault. If its not turning on, the PSU is not working right.

If only the fan is dead, you must replace the CPU.

The PSU works fine, its new and i've tested the voltages myself, the cpu fan is ok as i've hooked that directly to the psu and it works (but it doesnt spin when connected to mobo).
The hdd works.. just not in this machine because nothing does.

Edit: BTW the PSU does not turn on from soft power on the mobo, I have checked the switch for continuity and its ok, however when i disconnect the PSU and hook it to a testing kit it works fine.

Just try to 'power-up' with the mobo,Cpu, and fans..... outside of the case.
What is the exact PSU model# ? Include ampere rating on the 12volt rail. Maybe its only your PSU that's bad!

Yes i have tried that, unfortunately I doubt very much that the PSU is at fault. The network admin replaced the PSU when the problem originally occured, both the shop and myself have tested the new PSU and it works fine.
the soft power on via the mobo only very occasionally engages the PSU and elicits nothing more than faint static from the pc speaker + v faint beeps that are too quiet to hear when the mobo is in the case.

PS: don't worry, the PC is out of my hands now, i'm five nines it was a bad mobo anyway.

My point was , I was trying to isolate the problem between the mobo and the Cpu; or any external drives.

JKnPA said:
My point was , I was trying to isolate the problem between the mobo and the Cpu; or any external drives.

It seems like it's pretty obviously the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom