blank screen/shut offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidhogg

Beta member
hi, after installing two new graphic cards I now have the problem of the pc going to a blank screen (monitor displays "no signal") with sound stuttering/looping, or the pc shuting off completly.

MB: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.21ghz
GPU: Dual BFG GeForce GTS 250 OC 512MB SLI mode
1 gig PC6400 (800 Mhz) ram
2x 512 mb PC4200 (533 Mhz) ram

when I first put the cards in I ran the windows experience index to refresh it, when it got the 3d graphics part the pc shut off. After that I updated the driver and tried again, same thing. So I went into Dragon Age as that was the last game I had been playing with the old graphic cards, it didn't shut off, but after several minutes the screen went blank and the sound began to stutter.

My old cards did not require a six pin power connection, so I input my info into the power supply calculator at Journey Systems. With all my info it claimed I needed 608 watts, I had 550 at the time.

Seeing as the pc shut off completly when stressed, and locking up when taxed, I figured that it seemed about right that my PSU was not enough, so I got a 850 watt PSU. I reran the windows experience index test and it completed with out shutting off. I then again went into Dragon Age but after several minutes (time elapssed is random) it again went to a blank screen with sound stuttering, I have tried other games (oblivion, fallout 3(not sure if its the same game engine as oblivion) and a few others, all random times).

So I moved on to temp, but all is normal. CPU is running 45°C tops, and the GPU are running 55-60°C tops.

So unless one of the sticks of ram is in the early stage of failing I don't know whats up now.

Any help is appreciated.

IMO at least one of your device drawing more power than it is required...

It could be ram most probably... try borrowing ram from some friends and test it with themm

You got a 850 watt power supply, what is the Make and Model#.

Make sure Both of your cards are fully seated in the pci slots. If something is putting pressure on either of the cards the system will crash when SLI is activated.

Uninstall the video drivers. Shutdown the PC and remove one of the video cards. Restart the PC and install the newest video driver for your card, this will require a restart. Download Furmark. FurMark v1.6.5 download from Guru3D.com Install Furmark and start the program. Select the Stability Test and click "GO" noting the starting temperature. It won't take long, let it run for a few minutes. It may lockup or crash your PC. Note your Temperature just before you stop testing.

Repeat everything above using the second card and report back with your findings.

You got a 850 watt power supply, what is the Make and Model#.

Make sure Both of your cards are fully seated in the pci slots. If something is putting pressure on either of the cards the system will crash when SLI is activated.

Uninstall the video drivers. Shutdown the PC and remove one of the video cards. Restart the PC and install the newest video driver for your card, this will require a restart. Download Furmark. FurMark v1.6.5 download from Guru3D.com Install Furmark and start the program. Select the Stability Test and click "GO" noting the starting temperature. It won't take long, let it run for a few minutes. It may lockup or crash your PC. Note your Temperature just before you stop testing.

Repeat everything above using the second card and report back with your findings.

PSU is an OCZ Tech model #: OCZGXS850

Tests:

Card 1: Start Temp. 53°C End Temp. 75°C Avg. FPS 63 Duration 180 sec.
Card 2: Start Temp. 47°C End Temp. 76°C Avg. FPS 63 Duration 180 sec.

No lock ups/crashes during either test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom