Blank screen at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
So I thought I had fixed the problem but when I went to install Windows on the new PC I built tonight I only see a blank screen. I don't hear any beeps from the motherboard. I've tried useing just 1 stick of ram, in both slots. I've cleared the CMOS and taken out the watch battery and put that back in. Checked all my connections and made sure they were good. I've ran out of ideas. Also, I have the motherboard outside of the case, but screwed onto a motherboard tray that slides into the case. Wanted to bring that up since I read something about a bad ground in another thread. I've got a DFI board, so I'm useing the button that's located on the motherboard to turn it on and off.

Also, about 8 hours ago I had the system working, and the Windows XP CD was in the drive and it booted from it. When it got to the main menu I opted to exit the installer, I had to go to work and didn't have time to finish the install. Then it gave me 10 seconds or so to restart and when it restarted I held down the power button and shut the system off. Don't know if this has anything to do with it not working, but I thought I should include that information.

DFI LANPARTY UT 915P-T12
Intel Pentium D 820
eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS 256MB
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-400 ATX12V
OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD

That's the basic system. 400 watts should be more than enough, right?

Are you getting the " No Signal " error on your monitor ?
Do you have the system speaker even hooked up to hear the error code beeps ?

Try booting with only RAM, CPU and Video card, if it does add the HD your trying to format.

If you can download memtest 86 off another machine, burn to a blank disc and try booting off of it on the bad comp.

Try another power supply if you can.

Why did you exit the installer?

I use to get a "No Signal" error on my monitor, but now it's just blank.

When I first got it working, I heard a beep followed by all the bios screens. That was before I had to head into work. I powered down the system to resume it when I got out. I left the motherboard sitting in the box, so I'm pretty sure that the speaker is still hooked up.

Ste said:
Try booting with only RAM, CPU and Video card, if it does add the HD your trying to format.

If you can download memtest 86 off another machine, burn to a blank disc and try booting off of it on the bad comp.

Try another power supply if you can.

Why did you exit the installer?

I exited the installer because I did not have time to complete it, I had to go into work.

I've tried booting with just the ram, cpu and video card with no results.

I'll try another PSU, but it's a shitty one that came with my case a long time ago. Prolly close to 320 watts.

I tried a different psu but my old one is a 20 pin and the motherboard is a 24 pin.

Any suggestions? It's collecting dust as we speak and the guy I'm building it for would like his computer soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom