Blank Screen... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrkJr916

Beta member
My friend brought me his computer to fix, it would not turn on at all. Quick diagnosis told me it needed a new Power Supply. The PC is an HP a530n, and had a 250W PS.

I replaced it with a 350W PS, and everything turns on fine, but I get a blank screen, nothing at all. CD Rom runs, DVD runs, lights glow. HDD spins. I took HDD out and installed in my PC as a slave, works with no problem.

My friend told me the PC had been knocked over during transport to my house. So, I thought to myself, maybe something got knocked loose... I've taken out video card and modem to re-seat. Still not working.

The DVD and CD both operate fine (open/close, lights come on)

Removed PCI modem

Removed AGP Video Card, replaced it w/ brand new PCI Video Card

Still nothing... blank screen

I tried resetting CMOS jumper per HP instructions (moved pin from 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 seconds, PC unplugged, moved it back)

Still nothing... blank screen

Something else I did notice... Keyboard lights do not come on. If I unplug keyboard, and plug it back in, all 3 lights on keyboard light up for 1 second, then shut off...

Does that mean anything to anyone??? Hopefully ???

All input appreciated... I promised my friend I'd fix his PC, but this one has me stumped !!!

Could the Motherboard be shot, and if so, how to tell? Can the HP's have their motherboards replaced?

Does anyone have any ideas?

The video won't work unless the cpu is functioning. Some motherboards have an additional 4 pin jack to supply 12v for cpu power. Verify that the replacement power supply has a 4 pin 12v connector and it's connected to the motherboard.

Its also possible that the power supply took the motherboard or video card with it when it let the magical blue smoke escape. If possible try a different video card or put his video card in a different machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom