Black screen XP boot/Boot from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gscope

Baseband Member
Hi all ! Its been a while since ive been here :)

So I have been working on a computer that a neighbor asked me to fix. When you turn it on, the monitor doesn't display anything, only until you press the reset button a few times then it beeps. It boots up then it says the CMOS battery was low and asked to load default values or to go to setup. After I ran setup and reentered cmos info, it boots into the hard drive which ends up being a black screen. I tried safe mode, the option list comes up and I chose safe mode and it again goes to a black screen. I tried booting into the windows XP cd... restart it comes up to the "press any key to boot into CD" I press a key and then it goes to the "inspecting computers hardware" screen and again... black screen.

I read a few articles online that suggested it could be the power supply so I switched it out with another one and same thing happens.

I replaced the CMOS battery reset all the parameters in the BIOS and still the same thing.

I ran MEMTEST on the memory and there were no errors at the end of the test.

The hard drive couldn't be the problem because the problem happens when booting into a CD.

So in summary the things I tested and couldn't be the problem are..

Memory
Power Supply
Hard Drive
CMOS battery

The only thing I could think of now is a corrupted BIOS or faulty MB? The battery has already been removed and replaced and that didn't fix anything. The jumper near the BIOS, which I'm assuming was the reset jumper for the BIOS, I switched it over and then back and didn't solve the problem just reset the BIOS with no solution.

It looks like the BIOS is AMIBIOS and its build 7/12/01.

American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS ID- 62-0712-001437-00101111-071595-SiS730S-M810LR-H

Any help would be appreciated :)

Could be faulty BIOS, MB or just the video device failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom