Black Screen with Question Marks ("?") upon boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZerLp

Beta member
Hello all,

New to the forum.

I've been baffled by an issue I've come across recently and seek the advice of some tech gurus.

Yesterday I was playing a game, Bloodline Champions, when all of a sudden my screen went black and my monitor went into standby mode. It was as if my computer went into hibernation mode. However, upon pressing multiple commands it did not wake up and when I pressed the power button it just simply turned off.

Upon turning back on after post, I was presented with a black screen full of question marks in random order. There would be a series of 5 or six followed by several blank spaces, then several more and so on, filling up the entire screen. At this point I figured it was a virus so I reformatting my computer. After I reformatted with Vista x64, I restarted the computer and lo and behold the question marks returned. Granted they don't prevent me from loading windows, but I'm still concerned.

Any thoughts, advice? I'm leaning towards hardware as it continues even after a fresh re-install.

Interesting you should mention that because when I had played that game I remember getting an error message right before the black screen telling me the graphics driver could not be detected o_O

It's been a few years ago but I've had a similar problem. It wasn't ??? marks but just a bunch of random numbers and letters. A new card fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom