Black screen, long beep....no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt_Trips

Solid State Member
Hi,

I just a new mother board (Epox Socket 775 800 FSB) and when i booted up yesterday, with my old HD it worked fine, with no sound though (onboard...but lets no worry about the sound for right now). I did the Windows updates and had all my data pretty much the way I had it. After one of the many Windows updates, it prompted for a restart....fine. Thats when I ran into my problem

After the reboot, now I get a black screen. I cant get into the BIOS to change anything, I cant boot from a CD-ROM. I have tried many things already to try and fix this:

I have tried replacing the Video card with a known working card.

I have tried putting the Memory module (which is a DDR2 512MB) in a new slot. (I dont have a spare to try as of yet)

I tried waiting an hour and trying again ( I read that worked for someone)

I tried starting from scratch...booting with only keyboard and mobo, and still I get the black screen (obviosly) and the longgggg beeps.

I think this is a mobo problem but I'm not 100%

Can anyone offer any advice?

Sounds like a mobo problem, but before you try replacing it, go to the bios manufacturers website and look up it's beep code. That should tell you what's failing.

If you don't know who your bios manufacturer is, look up your Mobo on it's maker's website and it should tell you.

I tried that as well...its an Award BIOS and they dont offe much for beep codes as manufactorers can modify the BIOS...it said One beep....blah blah blah...2 or more beeps - RAM.....

Any other thoughts please?

Capt_Trips said:
I have tried putting the Memory module (which is a DDR2 512MB) in a new slot. (I dont have a spare to try as of yet)

thats a problem right there when u hav OS installed never switch slots because u will get beeping errors and it wont POST

try resetting the CMOS or try a different RAM and see wat happenes.
u can test ur RAM for any errors using Microsoft Memtest on system boot just to make sure it working properly

or just read my sticky (POST troubleshooting Steps)

The only way I could do anything with BIOS was to set the onboard jumper to clear it, but no luck...still black screen...i mean black like the monitor isnt even on at all.

Yes the fans work and i hear the HD and the DVD light comes on...but I have already changed out the video card to a known working one, and its still the same

Capt_Trips said:
The only way I could do anything with BIOS was to set the onboard jumper to clear it, but no luck...still black screen...i mean black like the monitor isnt even on at all.

thats not the only way u can reset the BIOS, u can pop the mobo battery for couple minutes with no power plugged in the back and then place it back in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom