Black Screen of Death with blinking cursor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Black Screen of Death with blinking cursor

Any tips on a black screen of death with a blinking cursor?

I tried disconnecting the hard drive, DVD ( wont boot to DVD ), and it seems to be a issue with the BIOS, It wont allow me to access F1 or F12, I even tried removing the battery and putting it back in to reset the BIOS and after it does its configuration it says,Previous fan failure and System battery voltage is low but i used a brand new battery and goes to the black screen with blinking cursor, "apparently" there was no installation or updates.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Black Screen of Death with blinking cursor

Need more info. Are you getting POST on startup normally? Do you get the BlackSOD after POST?

Make sure you are using a hardwired PS/2 keyboard when trying to get to BIOS setup. I've seen cheap USB keyboards cause a computer to not POST. The battery error you are getting is normal when taking out the motherboard battery. It should clear within a few boots.

It sounds more like a problem with the hard drive or OS. Are any hard drives being detected?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think it does the post, it has the bios loading screen but i am not able to access setup. and then it turns into a black screen. I tried using DVD with a operation system but it wont detect that as well even though i have it setup to detect that first. Yes it is a wired keyboard and mouse
Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Again, it sounds like it is not detecting any IDE/SATA devices, therefore it has nothing to start up into. Is your keyboard USB or PS/2?

Also, is the BIOS loading screen showing that it detects any devices?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It is USB, and it is a SATA device
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If you have a PS/2 keyboard handy, try to get into setup with that.
If for some reason USB legacy support isn't working/enabled, you won't be able to get into BIOS setup with a USB keyboard.

If that doesn't work, you may want to dump the BIOS memory. What kind of motherboard are you using?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireSlinger View Post
If you have a PS/2 keyboard handy, try to get into setup with that.
If for some reason USB legacy support isn't working/enabled, you won't be able to get into BIOS setup with a USB keyboard.

If that doesn't work, you may want to dump the BIOS memory. What kind of motherboard are you using?
It does detect the USB because i hear a beep everytime i press F12, how do you dumb the BIOS memory i thought taking out the battery wipes out the BIOS information and i dont know what kind of motherboard, intel motherboard? power supply is on the top. It has Duo intel processors.

i was able to accses the setup, cloak etc, when i remove the battery and put it back in. Everytime i reboot and try F12 it beeps but with F1 or F2 it just does not make a sound.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You can try the Del key during post to see if that will get you into the bios too.
What brand name and model number is this pc?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast3rd View Post
I think it does the post, it has the bios loading screen but i am not able to access setup. and then it turns into a black screen. I tried using DVD with a operation system but it wont detect that as well even though i have it setup to detect that first. Yes it is a wired keyboard and mouse
Would you do me a small favor, with your pc off, unplug the sata or ide cables from your cd/dvd drives and hdds.
Reinsert your PS2 keyboard or generic usb keyboard and boot back up.
See if you get in by pressing ESC or F1 like joe said, if you get in with no hassle slowly plug up each drive and saving it to bios while rebooting the pc.
If it stops and will not go further on one of your drives, your cable maybe wearing out.

-Just a thought-
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Techno-Thug View Post
Would you do me a small favor, with your pc off, unplug the sata or ide cables from your cd/dvd drives and hdds.
Reinsert your PS2 keyboard or generic usb keyboard and boot back up.
See if you get in by pressing ESC or F1 like joe said, if you get in with no hassle slowly plug up each drive and saving it to bios while rebooting the pc.
If it stops and will not go further on one of your drives, your cable maybe wearing out.

-Just a thought-

Yah i tried that already, I fixed the issue already, i dont know how...but it is working now..I actually unplugged the ethernet and fax as well. It still gave the issue when the HDD was disconnected and the DVD drives, I change the setup to boot the HDD first and DVD second, i think there could be a issue with the DVD after thinking about it.

Closed Thread