Black screen with blinking underscore

and ill give you abit more detail to how this happen, i was benchmarking one day, overclocked it to 5.1Ghz on all 8 cores with 5.250V to it, and it had no problems because i had it ice cold, but i ran cinebench and halfway through it crashed like always before when overclocking this rig, it would normally reboot or i would have to reset cmos... this time it gave a blank screen with blinking underscore, but from what all ive learned and read, the black screen with blinking underscore isnt a processor related issue... my instructor told me today to try and find a bad stick of ram... did that, it was pointless... every stick showed black screen problem.

- Jackel1337

If you put 5v through that CPU it is dead. Period. 5ghz doesn't even need 5v as the WR I believe was only at 1.8v for 8ghz or something like that under liquid helium. If you have 2 of the same board both bricked then you must realize you are doing something wrong.

If everything you did doesn't point to CPU, then the next thing is board like I said. If the board was dead though, it wouldn't do anything at all.

Btw, I might transfer to going to your school. Looked up your course, 5 Tesla machines? I'd like to play with one.

my next build will be either the 3930k or a pair of xeons... i gotta see what all the hype is about the fast(er) stuff... and i want to get like 4 GTX 680's

- Jackel1337

LOL *1.5250V* my bad.

- Jackel1337
That's better. Under sufficient cooling that wouldn't kill that CPU. Actually, I put 1.5v through my 2500k for a suicide run before.

yes the High Performance Computing Degree is well worth getting :)

- Jackel1337
I wouldn't say it's worth it. No practical use for it. I just want to go play with some Tesla cards.

my next build will be either the 3930k or a pair of xeons... i gotta see what all the hype is about the fast(er) stuff... and i want to get like 4 GTX 680's

- Jackel1337
All 3 are pointless. I have a 3960x. Can personally say, a 3770k would do any regular consumer fine. Dual Xeons, only needed for very heavy CPU tasks much like the SB-E chips.
4 680s is a complete waste unless you waste your life away benching with LN2 like I wish I was.

Back
Top Bottom