Bizarre power on issue - help appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris935

Solid State Member
I was recently tinkering with my system and when it came to pressing the power on button nothing happened. I opened up the case and the green light on the mobo was on so I knew power was getting there. I assumed it was a power switch issue so I shorted out the power switch pins on the mobo and all was well.

More recently I am getting the same problem but now shorting out the switch doesn't work. One morning she refused to power up so I laid it on its side, opened it up, pressed the switch a few times and swore at it. Nothing happened. SO I am just sitting there conjuring up new swear words when it just starts up, fans spinning and away we go - I never even touched it. I have restarted a number of times today and no problem. I'm afraid to power off for an extended time, but I live in Houston and this puppy puts out a fair amount of heat and we don't need any more heat in the house! This pattern now happens every day. I shut it down at night and then the next day it will not start unless I lay it on its side and start to disassemble the case and then it starts with no button pressing!

So it doesnt seem to me that it could be a PSU problem? While running, voltages are stable etc. So is it a mobo problem? It seems after an extended shutdown (i.e. overnight) it cools down (?) and then won't start. Is that a symptom of something cracked? A grounding problem? How does it fix itself and then start without pressing the button?

I don't mind replacing parts - I just don't know which parts or how to troubleshoot this problem.

Any suggestions?

Sounds to me and if the CPU is going... I have this problem now with a 3800 x2... tell's me the core voltage is bad.... might want to start there???

Well I am not ruling that out, but I have just upgraded to a new CPU (X2 4600+) and I was having the problem before that too. My core voltage is fine and the CPU seems to work flawlessly.

How would I check that? When one presses the little button on the case, what are the sequence of events that lead to powering up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom