Bizarre Black Screening / Sleep Mode During Game.. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghaffari

Beta member
hi everyone,

i built a high end gaming computer last week myself and everything was running fine and still is. however, i am noticing that in some games (for example counter-strike source and medieval 2 total war) after a while my moniter just turns black and the blue light turns to a flashing yellow light...if thats not strange enough, my pc is still running and sometimes i can even hear the background sound (for example part of the game or people talking in ventrilo/teamspeak).. from here i cant do anythiing but restart my computer manually and do everything all over again..e.g. today it crashed over 4 times...

i built a new gaming computer for 2 purposes: 1) id be able to play any new game out right now and 2) so that i wont get any more freaking crashes randomly...but now it looks like i cant do either one of those since my stupid moniter keeps going into "sleep mode" within 30 minutes of a game..

here are the specs to my computer

i7 950 processor
evga nvidia gtx 285 super clocked
6 gigs corsair dominator gt ram
ultra x3 1000 wat psu
asus p6t motherboard
hard drives blah blah
vista 64 bit os

i called evga and they said that the card might be "artifacting" meaning memory loss or something like that and i should send it in for RMA if it keeps happening more frequently. however, for now..it is only happening in SOME games and not all..for example in rainbow six vegas 2 i have played for 3-4 hours straight wihtout crashing but in medieval 2 total war i may crash within 10 minutes and in counter strike source withiin 30 minutes..

please help me.. i spent so much time buying new parts and building the **** computer that i am not in the mood for any more problems..

i have already downloaded multiple drivers and none of them seem to be working..
i have opened my case and there is NO DUST in it so theres nothing to clean out since it is brand new so thats not the case
i took out the video card and put it back in

oh and its not overheating because in evga precision the max ive seen the temp go to INGAME is 58/60 degrees and on desktop its at 40-50 degrees..
and cpu is at 40-50 max ~

what else do i do

i dont want to wait another 2-3 weeks for a **** RMA shipment!!!

regards
PG :confused:

When this happens if you turn you monitor on and off does that solve the problem without having to restart the computer?

Check the monitor's menu for sleep settings on it to extend the amount of time before it goes to sleep.

Yes i have tried turning it on and off but nothing happens..

i have to restart my entire pc manually for it start back up again :\

a lot of people are saying that its the memory of the graphic card and i think i have to RMA it

suggestions??

That almost certainly sounds like a dying or wrecked video card. Just because the crashing only happens in one game, doesn't mean the card is not defective.

Example:

On my old Q6600 system everytime i booted warcraft 3 i would get a memory related error 30-60 minutes into the game. Every other game i was playing at the time worked perfectly except for warcraft. I automatically dismissed my ram as being the problem. Sure enough i ran mem test just to be sure and it found errors.

Try and run a GPU stress testing program like ATItool and watch for any aritifacts or crashing at stock speeds.

Also if possible, try it with a different monitor and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom