A Bit Worried ( Mouse Rendered Useless ) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default A Bit Worried ( Mouse Rendered Useless )

I had just reformated my computer today, once, after realized I had a pretty intrusive Trojen.Backdoor within my computer, along with the ****** most annoying Results5.google Ad-Ware problem.

So I get everything about right, updated sound drivers, had sound, N.I.C drivers updated.. on the net, installed my anti-virus..

And than I updated my Chipset - before I was even able to click Yes - Restart now my mouse had died, I figured.. wow.. frozen already.. Restarted.. and with no way possible.. was my mouse working again. Keyboard worked fine.

So I updated Chipset / Mouse Went Dead..

Im just NOW back online , and im afraid to update my Chipset in fear of the same problem happening again.

BTW: I tried two different mice, both USB Optical Mouse. 1 HP USB OPTICAL and 1 GIGABYTE Optical Mouse w/ DPI on the fly.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: A Bit Worried ( Mouse Rendered Useless )

Sorry, a little confused here. Are you saying that after you install the chipset drivers the mouse stops working, but a restart fixes the problem? Or that after the chipset update no mice would work?

What motherboard model do you have? Post up the link where you're downloading your chipset drivers from too.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Chipset drivers do not include or touch your mouse. Try reconnecting it, refresh drivers, use a different mouse, different port if USB.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Chipset drivers do not include or touch your mouse. Try reconnecting it, refresh drivers, use a different mouse, different port if USB.
It -might- be effected, if the USB is part of the chipset. Depends on the board I guess? I'd see if you can find a PS/2 mouse laying about and see with that. Alternatively, if you can survive with just the keyboard, see what happens if you do it with -no- mouse connected. It couldn't hurt, anyways.

I think, once upon a time and with some shady hardware, the system started to act funny after such an update. In my case, disabling legacy USB mouse support in the BIOS seemed to fix it. This was a fine tradeoff, as legacy USB mouse is not really needed. Keyboard, yes... mouse, generally not.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Chipsets do include USB Drivers. All you have to do is use the keyboard to install the proper mouse drivers after wards.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread