BIOS/Windows sees 4gb out of 6gb - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default BIOS/Windows sees 4gb out of 6gb

Hi, I just built a new system with the following specs:

Windows XP PRO 64bit
CPU i7 920
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI
XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB)
******* CMPSU-750TX 750W
Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm
Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket

The BIOS are at the default settings. I did not touch them. Upon boot up, going into the BIOS, it only sees 4GB of ram, same goes for Windows. When I test each one individually, both BIOS and Windows see 2gb fine. When I test 4GB, both also see them fine. When I test 6GB, the BIOS does see the 6gb, but when I boot to Windows, it's 4GB again. Another restart into BIOS right after, shows 4GB again.

Upon inserting all 6GB initially, the BIOS seems to see the 6GB. But when going into Windows and then back to the BIOS again, it seems to just go back to 4GB. But I can't seem to get it to see 6GB all the time. It's hit or miss.

Your responses are most appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: BIOS/Windows sees 4gb out of 6gb

Have you pushed all the modules right in so that the arms click back in? Run memtest for a few hours, if it takes that long.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

After reading NewEgg reviews on this board, it appears that a lot of boards were DOA to a lot of people. Numerous claims insisted that certain dimm slots did not recognize memory and had to be RMA'd, particularly the middle dimm slot.

If it were me, I'd try the 4GB that is currently being recognized in all possible slot positions and see if you have a bad dimm slot.

I work with computers, I play FFXI.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If I did not set the memory power and timings initially, will memtest show errors?

I've tested each stick individually without setting the power and timings. Each stick was tested on different green dimm slots. One of the sticks appeared to have issues, producing varied results at random times. For example, if I try to open up 'My Computer', the whole screen will go black and I'll have to reboot. Or double clicking 'My Computer', I will see some window open really fast and then disappear. Memtest shows no errors on this stick. Results are random at best, sometimes happening immediately or maybe few minutes or not at all. (so frustrating) So bad stick? Or combination of something?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Did you try what I said? Test the 4GB in a different combination of DIMM slots until you find the weak link (if it exists) Or simply RMA your board.

I work with computers, I play FFXI.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagnozzi View Post
Did you try what I said? Test the 4GB in a different combination of DIMM slots until you find the weak link (if it exists) Or simply RMA your board.
Well, I tried each single stick on every green dimm slot and it was able to boot into windows with no apparent issues. And it was one of the sticks that appears to be causing those issues I mentioned just now. Would this mean that it's not the board?

Will trying two dimm slots together produce different results than just testing one slot at a time?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushfire View Post
Well, I tried each single stick on every green dimm slot and it was able to boot into windows with no apparent issues. And it was one of the sticks that appears to be causing those issues I mentioned just now. Would this mean that it's not the board?

Will trying two dimm slots together produce different results than just testing one slot at a time?

Thanks.
try running either the windows built in memory test or running memtest86+
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post
try running either the windows built in memory test or running memtest86+
I had run the memtest86+ on the 2gb stick that seemed to cause issues randomly. It produced no errors after about 3 passes.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, just updating my tests so far on trying to resolve this issue.

Ran memtest for each stick: no errors
Ran memtest for two sticks/all combinations: no errors
Ran memtest for three sticks: 100+ errors, 2 passes

Tested all three sticks on a Asus P6T Deluxe board: Bios/Windows sees 4gb, CPUz sees 6gb, so same problem.

Reseated the CPU, no bent pins.

I've set the memory timing and power settings only. Everything else is on auto. But personally I feel that even if the memory was at factory settings and underperforming, the Bios and Windows should still see 6gb with no problem.

So bad ram? Even though all three showed no errors individually.

Bad cpu memory controller?

Is it time to RMA? and which would be the likely culprit to RMA first? Or other suggestions and thoughts would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushfire View Post
Hi, just updating my tests so far on trying to resolve this issue.

Ran memtest for each stick: no errors
Ran memtest for two sticks/all combinations: no errors
Ran memtest for three sticks: 100+ errors, 2 passes

Tested all three sticks on a Asus P6T Deluxe board: Bios/Windows sees 4gb, CPUz sees 6gb, so same problem.

Reseated the CPU, no bent pins.

I've set the memory timing and power settings only. Everything else is on auto. But personally I feel that even if the memory was at factory settings and underperforming, the Bios and Windows should still see 6gb with no problem.

So bad ram? Even though all three showed no errors individually.

Bad cpu memory controller?

Is it time to RMA? and which would be the likely culprit to RMA first? Or other suggestions and thoughts would be great. Thanks.
I don't think it could be the memory controller, as Intel uses "on-board" memory controllers, and don't integrate them onto the chips? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please) So, both boards would have to have failed for the memory to be read incorrectly.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Closed Thread