Windows XP PRO 64bit
CPU i7 920
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI
XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB)
******* CMPSU-750TX 750W
Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm
Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket

The BIOS are at the default settings. I did not touch them. Upon boot up, going into the BIOS, it only sees 4GB of ram, same goes for Windows. When I test each one individually, both BIOS and Windows see 2gb fine. When I test 4GB, both also see them fine. When I test 6GB, the BIOS does see the 6gb, but when I boot to Windows, it's 4GB again. Another restart into BIOS right after, shows 4GB again.

Upon inserting all 6GB initially, the BIOS seems to see the 6GB. But when going into Windows and then back to the BIOS again, it seems to just go back to 4GB. But I can't seem to get it to see 6GB all the time. It's hit or miss.

Your responses are most appreciated. Thanks.

After reading NewEgg reviews on this board, it appears that a lot of boards were DOA to a lot of people. Numerous claims insisted that certain dimm slots did not recognize memory and had to be RMA'd, particularly the middle dimm slot.

If it were me, I'd try the 4GB that is currently being recognized in all possible slot positions and see if you have a bad dimm slot.

If I did not set the memory power and timings initially, will memtest show errors?

I've tested each stick individually without setting the power and timings. Each stick was tested on different green dimm slots. One of the sticks appeared to have issues, producing varied results at random times. For example, if I try to open up 'My Computer', the whole screen will go black and I'll have to reboot. Or double clicking 'My Computer', I will see some window open really fast and then disappear. Memtest shows no errors on this stick. Results are random at best, sometimes happening immediately or maybe few minutes or not at all. (so frustrating) So bad stick? Or combination of something?

Did you try what I said? Test the 4GB in a different combination of DIMM slots until you find the weak link (if it exists) Or simply RMA your board.

Did you try what I said? Test the 4GB in a different combination of DIMM slots until you find the weak link (if it exists) Or simply RMA your board.

Well, I tried each single stick on every green dimm slot and it was able to boot into windows with no apparent issues. And it was one of the sticks that appears to be causing those issues I mentioned just now. Would this mean that it's not the board?

Will trying two dimm slots together produce different results than just testing one slot at a time?

Thanks.

Well, I tried each single stick on every green dimm slot and it was able to boot into windows with no apparent issues. And it was one of the sticks that appears to be causing those issues I mentioned just now. Would this mean that it's not the board?

Will trying two dimm slots together produce different results than just testing one slot at a time?

Thanks.

try running either the windows built in memory test or running memtest86+

Hi, just updating my tests so far on trying to resolve this issue.

Ran memtest for each stick: no errors
Ran memtest for two sticks/all combinations: no errors
Ran memtest for three sticks: 100+ errors, 2 passes

Tested all three sticks on a Asus P6T Deluxe board: Bios/Windows sees 4gb, CPUz sees 6gb, so same problem.

Reseated the CPU, no bent pins.

I've set the memory timing and power settings only. Everything else is on auto. But personally I feel that even if the memory was at factory settings and underperforming, the Bios and Windows should still see 6gb with no problem.

So bad ram? Even though all three showed no errors individually.

Bad cpu memory controller?

Is it time to RMA? and which would be the likely culprit to RMA first? Or other suggestions and thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Hi, just updating my tests so far on trying to resolve this issue.

Ran memtest for each stick: no errors
Ran memtest for two sticks/all combinations: no errors
Ran memtest for three sticks: 100+ errors, 2 passes

Tested all three sticks on a Asus P6T Deluxe board: Bios/Windows sees 4gb, CPUz sees 6gb, so same problem.

Reseated the CPU, no bent pins.

I've set the memory timing and power settings only. Everything else is on auto. But personally I feel that even if the memory was at factory settings and underperforming, the Bios and Windows should still see 6gb with no problem.

So bad ram? Even though all three showed no errors individually.

Bad cpu memory controller?

Is it time to RMA? and which would be the likely culprit to RMA first? Or other suggestions and thoughts would be great. Thanks.

I don't think it could be the memory controller, as Intel uses "on-board" memory controllers, and don't integrate them onto the chips? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please) So, both boards would have to have failed for the memory to be read incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom