BIOS will not save

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkydmunky

Beta member
Hi there. My first time around these parts. I am quite an experienced PC user/builder and have come accross a problem I can't seem to fix. My BIOS settings on my ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe will not stay set. My first thought was a dead battery (duh!) even though it is fairly new. I switched it out with two different ones. Not the problem. BIOS boot reads CPU changed. F1 for setup F2 to load default. The CPU is fine and configured correct in the BIOS. What gives? I am about to switch the PS to see if that helps matters but I can't see how. On one, and only one, reboot the BIOS voice (didn't know it had audio voice, made me jump) stated CPU fan not detected. Fan was pluged in and running fine. This system has run fine untill now. Is a BIOS virus possible?
Any help is appreciated.
Ken H.

Sounds like the CMOS information is leaking out. You could also have a shortage somewere ont he motherboard, you may want to double check that. Test your PSU, and make sure all your rails are good.

Hi U-Toast thaks for the reply, very appropriate name ;>) BTW.
CMOS drain, would that be directly related to a short, or does a drain have a specific cause?
Never tested a PS befor. I have determined many a PS to be the culprit in the past, but just from on the bench swaping. I am just about to swap this one, but with everything so nicely tucked and zap-straped I was reluctant. I always had a feeling I might be stressing my 350W so I will drop in this 450W and see if there is a change.

Well it ended up being the clear CMOS jumper. In fact it was the lack of jumper. It was gone!
Not sure how that happened, but my guess is that the SATA RAID sockets are right next to the CMOS jumper. Being that SATA is complete mickey mouse connector with stiff cords that always like to pop off everytime I'm in the case (could they not have made a simple clip?) it stands to reason that they pulled the jumper. I can't see how else it could have happened. Couldn't find the origional so I just replaced and all is good.
Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom