BIOS Temperature - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default BIOS Temperature

About 2 months ago, i purchased a ThermalTake Blue Orb II HSF. On stock cooling, BIOS reported around 35C. I installed the new HSF, and it suddenly jumps up to 54C IDLE. There's no way in heck the HSF could be THAT bad. I mean, sure, it could've been a bad buy in that it would make my temps go to maybe 40, but not this 55C BS.

I'm thinking that the mobo temperature reading is way off. Is there any way to fix this, short of buying a new mobo?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

update your bios maybe,

E6300 Core 2 Duo
2 Gbs OCZ PLatinum 800Mhz
250 Gb Western Digital
OCZ Modsteam 450W
7900GT Gainward
Flux Capacitor....SWEEEET
Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Perhaps you haven't installed the new HS properly? try reseating it. Have you use some decent thermal grease like AS5?
Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I tried reseating the new HSF, to no avail. Still 50+C. This morning (about half an hour ago, really ), removed the new HSF, and applied the stock HSF. Temps around 20C. After inspection, and a little assumption, i realized the new HSF creates so much pressure on the CPU/mobo that it squeezes all the thermal paste to the outside edges, leaving the middle bare and complete metal-on-metal contact. Could be bad lapping, but i'll just stick with my stock cooling, seeing as how it keeps things very nice and cool, compared to the new HSF.

Thank you for your help, though! Definitely appreciated. BTW, i'm using Arctic Alumina.
Closed Thread