Bios problem? Computer running extremely slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

murse88

Beta member
Hey all, I'm going to list my specs first:
Home built computer with P5Q Deluxe ASUS MB, Intel Core2Duo E8400 6MB Cache Processor, 4g Corsair RAM, WD Raptor 500gb harddrive 10,000 RPM, ATI radeon HD 4870 PCI Express graphics card, and 620 W power supply.

So here is my problem (or problems), and I was hoping I could get some guidance.

First, let me tell you all that I have a basic knowledge of computer systems. I'm fluent with windows with windows and I don't take 10 years to press a key and that's about it. Other than that, I'll probably be lost if you tell me to do something unless you write it out foolproof.

A few months ago, when I left the computer on sleep mode while I slept, I came to find it not starting up when I moved the mouse around (the monitor). I could hear the computer running, but the monitor wasn't working. We thought it was the graphics card. So we fought with ATI for about 3 months to get a replacement, and when we finally got the card and plugged it in, we found out it wasn't the card (DOH!).

Paid for a tech to come out, he fooled around with it, and he ended up resetting the bios manually and finally the screen decided to come back on. He had the incliniation to reset the bios because he wasn't hearing all the beeps and whistles when you first started up the comp. No idea how they're related, but whatever, it worked. Now, however, the same problem happened, and I went in to reset the BIOS myself by popping out the battery and popping it back in. Voila, monitor works! Everything appears to be fine.

When I boot up the OS everything looks good, but I notice it's running unusually slow. Very slow in fact. I can't do much without having to wait an additional 30 seconds. I open up the system processes and find that the 'system idle process' is running 90-95 for my CPU.

Now, my question to you all is, does this have to do with the BIOS at all? After I reset the bios, I did not change anything (left it all default). I really don't think I have a virus because I've ran AVG like 10x and still nothing has come up.

Anyone have a solution or a suggestion that may lead me into the right direction without having to pay $100 to take this in to a technician?

Thanks!

things to try.

check event viewer for clues.

does the mobo have onboard video? try removing the card and use onboard.

download a linux live cd. knoppix is good choice. surf the net. is it still slow?

The BIOS should not affect the operating system. All the BIOS does is configure the system basic settings (CPU and bus clock speeds, RAM settings, low level hardware configs, etc) and then pass the code execution onto the hard drive to load your OS. The BIOS is completely done by the time your Windows screen comes up.

System Idle Process SHOULD run high, it is the percentage of time the CPU is idle (not doing anything). If a program uses 100% CPU then System Idle Process will use 0% (thus it is not idling at all). If the system isn't doing anything, the idle process is 100% as the CPU is just idling waiting for some program to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom