BIOS mishap - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Okay, so I could not leave well enough alone. Actually I was having a difficult time getting my new printer to work, so I said what the heck, I'll just update my BIOS. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P. I used the dang windows BIOS updater and looks like I paid the price. I reset the computer as prompted and I get missing BOOTMGR.

Hoping that I could fix the issue, I entered BIOS set up and tried to update to a previosu BIOS version using Qflash. Notta. Ziltch. This motherboard has dual BIOS, but for whatever reason that did not help.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. Stink!

Thanks in advance!

Okay, so the thing is working now. I used the fail-safe option within BIOS and now everything works. What is up with that? By the way, I did go back to CMOS and changed my settings back were they were before the mishap, and everything still works. I'm at a loss. Anyone?

Old 11-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: BIOS mishap

I'm glad to hear you got it back up and running. I'm not well versed in computers and making changes I use the least "oops" route. For a bios change, imo, the safest way is to back-up my existing bios onto a floppy- then download new onto a different floppy and try to install from there. Many have been successful flashing bios, but I'm a scaredy cat I guess.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I ended up using my USB drive tand Qflash to update the BIOS. I'm still confused as to what happened to that back up BIOS.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

the exact same thing happened to me the other day after a BIOS update. Somehow the bios put my second hard drive as first bootable device. After I changed it back to my drive that had windows installed everything was ok.

I think bootmgr is a windows file. am I right?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

yea if you're going to update the bios it's best to use the option built into it instead of trying to do it through windows(such as in your case, just use qflash over anything else)

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 11-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

call me old school, but I rather just boot up into some sort of DOS Promt and update the BIOS there. The last thing you want to do is have windows or some other program acting up in the background while you are flashing a BIOS.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Cowboy View Post
call me old school, but I rather just boot up into some sort of DOS Promt and update the BIOS there. The last thing you want to do is have windows or some other program acting up in the background while you are flashing a BIOS.
This is the second time a windows based utility has burned me! While I was able to get everything up and running, it still was way too close for comfort for me! I will not make a third mistake... So I'm a slow learner...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

strange, i have a gigabyte board and i always use the windows based program to update the bios, always works perfect for me.

and if you get a BOOTMGR error then that is HDD or windows related, and has noting to do with the bios

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
strange, i have a gigabyte board and i always use the windows based program to update the bios, always works perfect for me.

and if you get a BOOTMGR error then that is HDD or windows related, and has noting to do with the bios
Good call... where were you about 8 hours ago? I just searched BOOTMGR, and you are correct. Now I am more confused than ever as to what happened.

Oy Vey...

Edit: I deleted Unbuntu from from my computer, which was part of a double boot. Could have this caused this problem?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes removing Ubuntu can cause havoc if GRUB was the boot loader. What version of Windows are you running to try and get it fixed?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread