Is bios making my machine not post? k7s5a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlarnard

Beta member
Hi new to forum not new to computers.
I recenly bought an amd 2200+ thoroughbred cpu to put into an ECS k7s5a pro ver 5 motherboard. The duron thats in it is only a 1.15 ghz and it is a decent all around internet performer.
So anyway I drop in the new cpu and I get a short burst of energy through the board. Enough to make the fans move a quarter turn. Then until I unplug the power supply from the motherboard, it's totally dead. I put the duron back in and it works. I tried this several times. The chip is brand new unless someone glued new cussion pads on it.
I think it's a dead chip. But I wounder if my original bios could stop it from posting. I thought it might not detect the right speed with my old bios, but could it keep it from posting?
I have never flashed a bios, I guess I never had to. I have read the warnings, and they say don't fix something that isn't broken. Well the duron isn't broken. Any advice would make my brain quit hurting so much.

supposedly even the barton though underclocked.
However everything I've read talked about flashing the bios.
I just wonder if it should still post with the old bios

Yes it would still post with the old BIOS. Either your BIOS is corrupted or you need to update it. Clear the CMOS. If that doesnt work then update the BIOS.

A corrupt bios would allow it to run 1 chip and not the other? It is a thoroughbred B core. maybe this is the part that my mb cant do.
Still having trouble getting this thing off my mind. The ebay member I purchased from says there is no way that the chip is dead. He claims it just can't happen. But I have purchased retail chips from new egg and had them completely doa. So I wonder how he can be so sure. The guy has like 1k 100% feedback. And money isn't the problem I figure by the time I ship it back to him I will have $4 in my pocket. I really just wanted to make that old computer faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom