BIOS has no SATA, Mobo does

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
Installed a dvd burner into a friends computer as their old IDE one failed. The motherboard is really old and has 2 SATA ports on it. The DVD burner gets power but isn't detected by the computer... so it won't read any discs that are put into it. I figured it had to be something in the BIOS. I went into the BIOS and saw NOTHING AT ALL relating to SATA... only IDE and SCSI.

Now I think this computer might be a custom build. I'm assuming I have to upgrade the BIOS to fix this issue. I'm assuming I have to open the case and find out what motherboard is installed in order to find out what BIOS upgrade i need... or could i just look for an upgraded version of the BIOS type that I know is installed?

am I going about this the right way? should a BIOS upgrade fix the issue? why would a motherboard with SATA capabilities not even have SATA configuration in it's BIOS? any other solutions or ideas?

Installed a dvd burner into a friends computer as their old IDE one failed. The motherboard is really old and has 2 SATA ports on it. The DVD burner gets power but isn't detected by the computer... so it won't read any discs that are put into it. I figured it had to be something in the BIOS. I went into the BIOS and saw NOTHING AT ALL relating to SATA... only IDE and SCSI.

Now I think this computer might be a custom build. I'm assuming I have to upgrade the BIOS to fix this issue. I'm assuming I have to open the case and find out what motherboard is installed in order to find out what BIOS upgrade i need... or could i just look for an upgraded version of the BIOS type that I know is installed?

You can do it the old fashion way we technicians do it.
Power down the machine, look for the mobo serial number on a white label.
Run a search on google or bing and find out what mobo.
Go straight to the manufacturers website and check bios download.

You can do it a new way not all tech people do this normally yet.
Download HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Install it now check the mobo tab and look at the bios revision.
Thats the easier way to do this, checkif the manufacturer made any fixes towards the sata socket and download the latest bios.

You can do it a new way not all tech people do this normally yet.
Download HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
Install it now check the mobo tab and look at the bios revision.
Thats the easier way to do this, checkif the manufacturer made any fixes towards the sata socket and download the latest bios.

You can also just press Start > type in "msinfo32" > Press Enter > and look under the BIOS version/date and SMBIOS version rows ;). No extra software required.

Back
Top Bottom