BIOS doesn't recognize HDD as boot drive - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
Default Re: BIOS doesn't recognize HDD as boot drive

mak thats a great idea, i always forget about that. he has a 150gig HDD. if its full holy dang thats a bunch of dvds. better than losing your stuff, though.
note to OP...
if you have to re-format, put a 40ish gb partition for your OS. that will save all this trouble for you if you ever have to re-install your OS. just make sure all your mobo/graphics drivers are installed on the OS partition. you can store them on the storage partition, but install them on the OS partition. then, if you change mobos again, when you re-format you wont have to worry about the drivers causing you problems.

"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If there is too much information like 150GB or something liek that. Get a external drive. Yeah may cost you money but you wont lose data. Not to mention you would have a backup then for the time when things go so bad that you cant jsut restore.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the help everybody. After fiddling with some boot.ini and ntldr files I was able to do a restore, and I'm now copying my files over so I can reformat. I'm gonna give the second partition Nagasama recommended a try.

FYI, the files I wanted to save are not movies and music and stuff like that. I don't care if other people download such things, but personally I don't like to do it. I have the large 10k hard drive solely so I can streamline rendering, loading, etc. for design programs. Sadly, storing the files I need on an external drive would defeat the purpose, though I definitely will be backing them up regularly now (I do have an external and a slave for that purpose).

Anyway, problem solved!

Closed Thread