BIOS does not detect DVD drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default BIOS does not detect DVD drive

My mind's a bit fuzzy as it's a problem from quite a while ago that I didn't bother fixing.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop and last year, I decided to upgrade my desktop by buying a new video card plus a new PSU. The video card is a 256MB BFG NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS and the PSU was a Thermaltake TR2-430W.

After removing the old PSU and properly installing the video card and PSU, I realized that one the PSU's SATA connector was too short to connect to my hard drive. In response, I decided the move my hard drive a bit higher, thus creating another problem: the SATA cable connecting from my hard drive to my MOBO was too short. So I used my DVD drive's SATA cable and left my DVD drive out of commission for a while until I got a new SATA cable and connected it.

Upon having all this, the BIOS no longer detects my DVD drive (located at SATA port 1). It will always show "None" on the BIOS, and I have no clue how to fix that. My DVD drive worked perfectly before all this upgrading, so I don't think it's the DVD drive that's causing the problem. I upgraded the BIOS to its latest version as well, and that didn't do anything.

I didn't fix this problem because I have 2 other computers with DVD drives to use. However, it is getting slightly inconvenient for me to swap data over, so I'm willing to give a shot into fixing this problem.

If there is any more information you would like to know, please ask. I'm not that great dealing with hardware components, but I think I know most of the basic parts.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: BIOS does not detect DVD drive

have you tried a different sata cable to see if the one you are using is bad?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown
Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

Originally Posted by hefemeister View Post
have you tried a different sata cable to see if the one you are using is bad?
that's what i'm thinking, or perhaps the port itself is bad try switching ports. Also i'm sure you have done this, but make sure that the drive is getting power from the PSU.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

As Captain Oblivious said, make sure the drive has power. If it does and you've tried changing the sata cable/port, try changing the cable going from the PSU to the drive.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Antec 1200 Case
Core i7 2.8 Ghz
6GB Corsair RAM
Nvidia GTX 285
22" Monitor
Closed Thread