BIOS does not detect DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dementia

Beta member
My mind's a bit fuzzy as it's a problem from quite a while ago that I didn't bother fixing.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop and last year, I decided to upgrade my desktop by buying a new video card plus a new PSU. The video card is a 256MB BFG NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS and the PSU was a Thermaltake TR2-430W.

After removing the old PSU and properly installing the video card and PSU, I realized that one the PSU's SATA connector was too short to connect to my hard drive. In response, I decided the move my hard drive a bit higher, thus creating another problem: the SATA cable connecting from my hard drive to my MOBO was too short. So I used my DVD drive's SATA cable and left my DVD drive out of commission for a while until I got a new SATA cable and connected it.

Upon having all this, the BIOS no longer detects my DVD drive (located at SATA port 1). It will always show "None" on the BIOS, and I have no clue how to fix that. My DVD drive worked perfectly before all this upgrading, so I don't think it's the DVD drive that's causing the problem. I upgraded the BIOS to its latest version as well, and that didn't do anything.

I didn't fix this problem because I have 2 other computers with DVD drives to use. However, it is getting slightly inconvenient for me to swap data over, so I'm willing to give a shot into fixing this problem.

If there is any more information you would like to know, please ask. I'm not that great dealing with hardware components, but I think I know most of the basic parts.

Thanks.

have you tried a different sata cable to see if the one you are using is bad?

that's what i'm thinking, or perhaps the port itself is bad try switching ports. Also i'm sure you have done this, but make sure that the drive is getting power from the PSU.

As Captain Oblivious said, make sure the drive has power. If it does and you've tried changing the sata cable/port, try changing the cable going from the PSU to the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom