BIOS boot device priority doesn't list ATAPI CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbio

Beta member
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting, so hopefully I'm in the right area. Anyhow, I was instructing my friend over the telephone on how to install a hard drive. After he finished the install I told him to go into the BIOS and change the boot device priority so he can install the OS from the cd. Anyhow, he says that the BIOS doesn't list the ATAPI CD-ROM drive as a device. Was the hard drive installed incorrectly or is there another method to enable the CD-ROM device in BIOS so that it appears in the boot device priority list?
Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

If you put the XP disc or whatever OS disc you have, you shouldn't have to change priority, just wait for it to say, boot from CD?, after POST, once you see that, press any key and it should boot.

If it doesn't IM sure its named something else, it could be the drives name. Also make sure he attached the CD-rom correctly, If there is 1 HD and 1 CD-Rom drive, they should each be on a separte IDE channel, and they should both be set to master.

Ste, thanks for the quick reply.

So what if the hard drive is listed first as the BIOS boot device priority? It should still be able to boot from the CD-ROM when the computer starts up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom