Bigger HD = Longer boot time? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Bigger HD = Longer boot time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessChaos View Post
I simply read the First line of the post and gave my assumption that it was start up applications. Like I said joowan, the main cause of PCs taking too long to boot up is how the processor reads the memory and hard drive.
While part of this is true, it is not the only factor. Factors such as having external device plugged into USB Ports, WebCams and just about anything else that you have hooked up to the system matter.

The Drivers for these start to load up during the boot process. Which is why if you have any lights on things like a keyboard or mouse, you will see them flash. They are getting initialized.

My thought would be a outdated driver. Be it for the chipset or another device. Startup Applications dont take effect until after the login process starts. But there is still plenty that happens before it.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: Bigger HD = Longer boot time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessChaos View Post
I simply read the First line of the post and gave my assumption that it was start up applications.
Then please read the whole post in future - while what you said was mostly correct (see rest of post), it did not apply in this situation.
I thank you for trying, anyway

Quote:
the main cause of PCs taking too long to boot up is how the processor reads the memory and hard drive.
While partially true, since if you have a very old/slow processor then it will take longer to boot, however if that were true then SSDs would provide no speed benefits during the booting process over HDDs, if the CPU were the bottleneck in booting.

Edit: Ninja'd, sort of. He distracted me with a PM! :P

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Closed Thread