The Big Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag100

Baseband Member
I'm trying to learn by playing with our old PCs- pulled 3 dead ones apart to build one that works. The MB is an SE440BX-2 (Intel) which I think had Win 98 on it. I put in a HDD with Win98.

When I turned it on it said 'incorrect system disc'

Put the startup floppy & Win98CD in- it started up fine (Yahoo!!)

Tried to install Win98 & it works for 2 or 3 min, then freezes. Whatever I do it freezes. The fans seem fine.

The MB has been lying around for a year or more with no CMOS battery in it- is that bad??

Any suggestions O wise ones??

If by the HSF you mean the CPU & heatsink, yeah they were on the board, but I may have removed them at some stage by lifting the plastic lever in the base & taking the whole thing off.

Yeah I took it off, & the heatsink has come apart from the chip- I'll get some thermal paste next time I'm in the city.

Thanks, I've learnt a lot from this forum (& even helped someone out once or twice)

Get a tube of either MX-1 or AS5. Those are really good thermal pastes. Also when you remove the old thermal paste, get some Isopropyl alcohol [rubbing alcohol] with a coffee filter [lint free] and wipe that old thermal paste off. Don't let it touch the sides.

I finished up pulling a CPU off another old PC, with heatsink attached & installing it. Cleared the BIOS & installed Win98- everything AOK.

Thanks again for the help phucng (interesting name btw)

First time I've built my own PC- my wife wants one to play Settlers 3 & for the WP.

Note: too few people seem to reply when they've fixed the problem- IMO it's good manners & sure helps out beginners.

You are very welcome. Well my username is actually my real name. Phuc Nguyen, phucng_10. :D Well I'm guessing the reason was once you turned on the computer with the HSF that was taken out, the thermal paste was dead so the CPU overheated once you turned it on.

Got the thing working beautifully- apart from the sound.

I know sound in Win98 is a headache sometimes, but i've never had this much trouble.

According to Everest, I have a Creative SB64V on Intel CA810.

I dl an audio driver from Intel- 4035FULL.exe & tried installing it. I got an error message
'Can't create Licence.txt
Can't create Dec.txt
Can't create SW.exe.'

I tried the same file from another site & got the same message.

Also looked in Driverguide.com & found the 'Crystal Audio Codec' - that didn't work either.

Any suggestions??

Fixed. Just put in a Creative CT4810 soundcard.

Thanks for the help- no offence about your name phucng- I just thought it was short for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom