Big CPU Upgrade Mess (Help Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhtml

Baseband Member
Yesterday I got all excited because my new Q6700 came, along with 2 new gb of ram and a new heatsink.

I put the Q6700 in and now i have had nothing but problems, and they seem to get worse as i try to fix them.

Current Specs:
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6700
mobo: Abit AW9D-MAX
GFX: nVidia 8800GTX
PSU: 700w OCZ
HDDs: 2 hdds, one with xp installed, the other with vista 64bit installed

i have dual boot setup, and my problems start like this: i tried to boot into xp first. i would just restart my pc with no errors or anything. so i thought i'd try a xp repair with my OEM disk (first big mistake). so i tried to boot back into xp (the dual boot is now gone since the repair overrode it) and it would go into the setup screen (39 min remaining), then it would get to 37 min remaining and restart. it would do this over and over.

next, i tried repairing just vista's bootloader with my retail vista 64bit disk. got dual boot back up and running, selected vista, tried to boot. no go; it just restarted without errors. so, i booted vista in safe mode (hey this worked!) and i did some much needed backing up (stupid mistake, i should have done this BEFORE i put the new cpu in!). next, a friend of mine suggested that i uninstall my graphics drivers, as those could have caused vista to not boot. so i uninstall them and xp wouldnt even get to the setup screen, it just restarts. vista will just restart. vista in safe mode crashes. vista in low-resolution mode just goes to a black screen. in an effort to get default graphics drivers back, i run repairs on my vista 64bit disk, and i get a BSOD.

next my friend suggested i remove my gfx card and try to run without it. due to my mobo not having integrated graphics, it didn't even post correctly without a gfx card. so, i put it back in.

to sum it all up:
xp: restarts without errors
vista: restarts without errors
vista(safe mode): crashes
vista(low-res mode): crashes
vista repair: crashes

what are my options? im thinking the only thing i have left to do is buy a new harddrive, install windows, and use my 2 old hdds as file storage...

unless of course someone here has suggestions. i'd also like you to keep in mind that i will NOT be reformatting my hdds. even though i did backup, i didnt get all of the data i would have liked to...

i'd greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me :(

o ya, forgot to mention it's not heat issues. my cpu runs at 35C, even after being on for an hour (im happy with my new Noctua heatsink :) )

i did a bios upgrade days before i got the new cpu. and im curious what reseting the CMOS would do? i think this is mostly an issue with getting windows to boot properly due to drivers and such, but maybe im wrong...

i did a bios upgrade days before i got the new cpu. and im curious what reseting the CMOS would do?
resetting the bios will change all the settings to the defaults for your new hardware. Depending on your mobo and the bios it could have a few settings wrong for your new hardware. When I flash my bios it still retains all of my old settings until I reset it.

If that doesn't help you should run Memtest
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

well i ran windows memory diagnostics and it came up clean. so what do you guys think of just buying a new harddrive and installing windows fresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom