BFG6800GT Shuts Off When Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BE4TNUT

Solid State Member
Ok my problem, is that when running a game, after a while my graphics card just shurt off and lose all output to the monitor, to correct it I need to reboot the computer.

This was happening before and I fixed some of my problems that I was having, now it doesn't do this with Halo, but does is with Splinter Cell.

I have contacted BFG-Tech and they keep saying that it is a power issue where the card isnt getting enough power to run so it shuts off.

I should probably also mention that the same thing happens about 95% of the time when I try and run a 3DMark03 or 05 test.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+
BFG nForce 4 Ultra Motherboard
2x512mb Corsair XMS DDR PC-3200
1xBFG6800GT Graphics Card
1xAntec NeoPower480 Power Supply
1xSound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
1xOptical Drive
1xFDD
1xSATA HDD
2x120mm Fans
1x80mm Fan

All of this is currently running on Windows XP Professional SP1.

I did run memtest86 which origianlly gave me 800+ errors after running it for 24 hours. So I ran one stick at a time for 5 hours and got no errors on either of them. So I put them both back into dual channel and ran it once again for 5 hours and got about 2 errors I think. I dont know if it was a problem with hos they were seated or what.

This is a new system build and the only problem that I know I am still having is I can't set my RAM timings to the 2.5-3-3-6 they should be at, the motherboard is only letting me set it to 2.5-5-3-6 and I have BFG looking into why I am not getting the option to set it to what Corsair says it should be at and waiting to hear back from them on it.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know of anything else that I should look at for a possible problem?

Thanks.

Ok I forgot to list it in my system list for the origianl post but have edited it in.

I am running the Antec NeoPower480 Power Supply.

do you have any other psu's that are 480W plus that you could try swapping with?

Unfortunately I dont, thats why I am posting here for some help or advice. Instead of swapping it is there a program or anything that I can use to log the different outputs or anything so after a crash I could see what sort of power was going into the system and compare it to what the graphics card needs to run? I'm sure I could find a PSU from someone that is around 450 that I could see if I could try and get them to let me test it on my system to see if thats the problem.

Also another bit of information, my graphics card is PCIe and BG told me their cards are only tested on their power supplies, and since PCIe is still new that companies havent settled on a standard yet the PSU should put out to the cards so they suggested (and I have done) is the motherboard comes with a 4 pin molex > PCIe connector so I an using that instead of the PCIe cord that came with the power supply.

I say it could just be your ram. Im not sure about Halo but Splinter Cell is quite memory intensive, so are the 3Dmark programs.
One thing you prolly dont know about Corsair; They like to display the latencies for intel based systems. Most of the time they are loosened for AMD systems. Mine is rated at 2-3-3-6. When I started my computer it shows 2.5-3-3-8. It also shows this on thier website.

Does your system crash when you don't mess with the latencies?
Could your GFX card be overheating??? Try looking into that as well.
-Joe

I am going to agree with BFG. The most likely problem is not enough power. Check your rails under load if possible and see if they are pumping out sufficient juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom