Best data backup plan

Runfox

In Runtime
Dont know where to put this, but I need advise for the best data back plan you have. My wife's computer back up hard drive died, the boot sector corrupted or so, tried to restore the data with no success. I told her to back up her pictures and data on her back up drive but it died. and I have my pictures and data on a backup drive on my computer , which I now see is not a safe bet either!!

So what is the best way, Im thinking raid 0 or whatever its called when you have two drives mirror each other???

Thanks CarnageX, so what would you recommend for safe computer back up plan. I think the raid 1 sounds the best, I juts have to buy two exact same HDs for back ups right?

Just to be clear, RAID (and Redundancy in general) =/= backup. If you're wanting a backup solution, you should look into things other than RAID. RAID is so that operation can continue on the fly without much interrupt, i.e. in a production environment in businesses.

A 2 stage backup solution would be the best. The first stage being your data gets backed up to some drive or service incrementally, e.g. nightly, weekly, etc. Then the second stage would be creating an additional backup on another drive or service which doesn't get updated as often, which you'd call a "cold backup" - and this you could either store somewhere safe in another location of your house or even off-site, until your next backup (if it's an external drive). There's also cloud services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and Amazon Cloud where you can back up the most important stuff.

I would recommend backing up using a cloud service. Google Drive or Dropbox can do the trick.

ok so back up to a backup drive in my corrupter, then back that up to a cloud service , that sounds good. I just thought the raid 1 with two drives mirroring the data would be safe too.

Back
Top Bottom