Belkin NIC crashing Windows - Can anyone interpret DrWatson Dump File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristine

Beta member
Hoping I can obtain some advise that will help me fix the problem because I'm ready to give this PC to the Goodwill. I've spent way too many hours reinstalling Windows, programs and running memory, hard drive, motherboard, diagnostic scans. All hardware scans produce passing scores.

Problem: After installing two different types of wireless network adapters (Belkin N1 PCI and Belkin N1 external USB) the system works well for a while and then while computing, freezes and will not shut down without a hard boot.

Upon start up I get the "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system". Repair option leaves the system buggy so I ultimately end up doing a clean install. The system came with Windows XP Media Center. The last couple crashes I tried a fresh install of Vista Home Premium but ended up with the same dump results. I'm guessing it's the Belkin drivers? But, why me? I know lots of people using this combination of OS and NIC with no problems.

Worst case, I can make subject computer the "wired" system with router and cable modem and put hubby's system in the spectrum but I hate to give up. Thanks for any ideas.

It's a Gateway GM5072:
Gateway GM5072 Specs

Dump File:
My Dump File

Have you tried not intalling that network card or trying another one.

From the problems you are having there, it does sound more like your hard drive might be loosing data.

Last night I ran a different type hard drive test/scan (one I downoaded from WD). This one failed! Code 8, and could not repair. This is actually good news to me. Finally starting to isoloate something and I'd rather it be the HD vs. something on the motherboard. I ordered a new HD last night from Tigerdirect and we'll go from there. But to answer your question, yes, I've tried several different types of NICs (internal and external USB). The system always eventually crashes. Thanks for helping me chase rabbits in a different direction now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom