Beeping Sound upon startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my desktop pc as it creates a weird beeping sound whenever it starts up. It seems to be ok if you restart the computer, but if you turn it off and turn it back on again a distinctive beeping noise comes around. It kinda sounds like a warning noise but nothing is wrong, the computer starts up fine and is not too hot. What may this be?
It's quite loud and usually stops after the Windows XP symbol has loaded...

Thanks.

Download windows memory dignostic Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

There is instructions on the page on how to burn it to cd & run the test
Its bootable so aftar u burn it to a cd put the cd in the drive & restart your pc & if your bios is set correct it should boot of the cd & run the test i would run it for about 2 hours if it finds a problem & you have 2 sticks of ram remove 1 & run the test again if it finds a problem again put the stick you pulled out back In & remove the other stick & run the test again

So do you think it's a memory problem?
I only have a 1gb stick of DDR2 667mhz ram.

Ok so, I now know what the problem is, it isn't anything to do with the memory. I opened her up the other day and had a look inside.
When I push the on button for the computer it will turn on, and the power will kinda drop out and stop for a second and then start back up, then the beeping noise will start as it starts to load.
The beeping noise is created as a warning because the cpu fan is not running... However it sometimes does run, sometimes not. Now I think that the problem is that my power supple isnt big enough? It is a Thermaltake 430W with a max load of 500W. My comp specs are in my sig. What's up with it? either that or my cpu fan is stuffed.

Oh ok. well guessing that you have had the fan working perfect before with this power supply its probly the heatsink/fan you can pick up one of these fairly cheap just make sure its suited for your cpu socket type..

Righteo, cool, I'll give that a go. the fan does kinda turn on to begin with, it jerks and does like 1 rev lol. And then just dies in the ***. It kinda looks like there has been a short surge of power to it and then it dies.

Sorry forgot to mention, the cpu is only like 6 months old, should the hsf be dying already? I had an AMD 2500xp before and i had the hsf it came with for like 3yrs until i sold it

No the HSF should not be dying that soon, but just like any mechanical device, it can fail at anytime.

Sorry for the latish reply, haven't really had the time to look at my computer again and am not in a rush too since ive got my laptop but what happens you start the computer up, it turns on, then the power flicks back off again, then on, then the beeping starts as it boots up. As for the HSF, the Fan looks like it tries to spin but only kinda gets a flick and then tries again in another 5secs and again only gets a flick. After this the HSF doesn't try to start again.
Do you think I should try replacing the HSF first?
Although the HSF is only 6 months or so old, I do always leave my computer on and really has hardly ever been turned off, so it has been run quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom