Beep code: 2 short, 1 long but i can still start up sometimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orlybird

Beta member
Hello people. I've very recently come across a big problem. When cold starting up my HP Media Center m7000 computer I hear 2 short and a long beep. However I can start the machine apparently using a trick which is to turn it on and keep holding the button until it turns off again and then quickly turning on once more. This seems to work after a few trials and today it worked after i opened the box and touched the wires connecting the power button to the motherboard. I've tested the graphic card and it is ok. Could this be a virus? I've changed nothing in my computer, in fact it's untouched for it's lifetime. Another interesting factor: When the computer has been running for a while, there is no problem at all, it will start, restart and cold-start. The next day the problem repeats itself. This isn't supposed to happen to HP computers :( Any clues? Thank you very much!!!!!!

BIOS Beep Codes - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

reseat video card. If it requires additional power from the psu reseat that connection as well.

reset bios.

Thank you. I am in the process of installing a BIOS update. I can rule out permanent damage i think because i would assume then the behavior would be the same. I'm trying reinstalling the BIOS patch. Thank you.

Thank you the feedback. I'll do that. Anyone else? The more the better because there's a possibility I won't be coming here soon after I'm done hehe.

It could be the graphics card after all. My theory is that my system doesn't like the cold weather, could it be related somehow? This has never happened before. Today the same stuff happened, when cold starting (literally) the computer. This time though, after a few button pushes i got a no signal screen. What is killing me is that I can't be sure what component is faulty for sure and every computer repairman in my area is a con artist :S I need to be sure what is wrong, please help me. I have bought Sandra software to help me out but all it seems to do is display info, am i missing something? Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom