battery not seen by laptop - ac works

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromekeating

Beta member
Hi everyone,

Compaq Evo N610c P42.0GHz 1G RAM
I think this one is my fault... I was installing an antenna for a wireless mini pci card and I had the motherboard out of my laptop a couple of times - I really thought I was being careful but perhaps I've broken something.

The computer still works perfectly fine when plugged in, but the battery is not seen at all by the computer. When the computer is off, the charging LED won't light up; when it's unplugged, the battery won't power the system. If the system is already running I can unplug it and it takes about 3 to 5 seconds before it shuts off. This is independant of windows - I checked in BIOS under the battery calibration tool and it says no battery is present. I fear I may have damaged a part somehow but I don't know what that would be. Unfortunately I don't have another battery to test this with but this battery was working just fine - still has a good charge capacity too.

I've checked all the connections at the battery terminals. I used a circuit tester just to ensure that the connection is ok - there's a voltage at the solder points on the motherboard, but beyond that point I wouldn't know what to test.

I fear I may have damaged a part somehow but I don't know what that would be. Unfortunately I don't have another battery to test this with but this battery was working just fine - still has a good charge capacity too.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know what I can do to troubleshoot the problem? I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom