Baffled. Installed G card, now nothing boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastAmongMen

Beta member
hi.
I'm really baffled, and annoyed here.

After eagerly awaiting delivery of a refurbished tower, grahpics card and Battlefield 2, they arrive.

All is well, windows xp boots up fine, seems nice and quick. I follow all instructions and succesfully install agp graphics card.

Now i install BF2 and it freezes during registration (a connetion issue) so i hit ctrl+alt+del to restart.

Now the fun begins...instead of restarting, nothing happens except the fan start whizzing, no beeps (not sure if it has inbuilt speaker) no other noises...can't even open the cd / dvd drives.

I've restarted many times, removed G card, put it back, removed battery in an attempt to get back to the state i was in previously.

As it booted before installation of g card i know the HD and OS are ok, and assume its some kind of hardware issue.

Ive tried all the different combinations i can think of (inc using a skeleton system) and still no luck, apart from the fan its totally dead.

I dont see what i could have done to kill it, as everything was working before i restarted. ><

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated
thnx

thanks for the link.
i followed the steps listed there, but it didnt do anything (cant find any 3 pin jumpers, but ive done step 1 a number of times now, battery has been out for up to 20 mins approx).

..when i say the fan is working i mean on the mobo, not the power supply (if that makes any difference).

**** i hate being a techno noob :p

also would it help to continue to try and fix it with or without the g card in...
its last working state was with it in, but now if cmos is reset will it still see it?

thnx again, help or ideas badly needed :/

1. If the fan in the PSU is not working, I would replace it.

2. Check to see if your video card needs a molex connector plugged into it for power. What kind of card is it?

SHAWN said:
1. If the fan in the PSU is not working, I would replace it.

2. Check to see if your video card needs a molex connector plugged into it for power. What kind of card is it?

For #1: Some PSU's dont use their fan unless they have to, to stay quiet until it gets hot, so theres a possability it isn't bad.

Definately make sure that all of the connections for power are plugged into the motherboard like he said.

Post your system specs, including the Amperage rating on your +12v rail (located on the sticker of the PSU).

Before anything else though, unplug the sucker from the wall for a couple minutes, plug it back in and try again... I don't know why, but it has actually helped before...

PSU fan not spinning after adding a power hog video card and running BF2 install...........hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Shawn wins Bingo! That dang PSU...the culprit in so many problems and the last thing anyone looks at. Example: Last night I added a 250 gig Sata and now have two of the same Sata drives installed. RAID 0.....all is well.......install the OS and all software...alll is well..........try to burn a VCD on Nero 6.....system powers off and reboots...no BSOD......left till the morning. HIt the power switch...on and off! 3 times...then the PSU boots the system. Now I could spend a lot of time doing hardware exploration gymnastics........no! Ordered a new Antec PSU 550 watt to replace my POS Codegen 450 wt. It's the PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom