bad_system_config_info please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUItalianMan

Solid State Member
Hey guys..got a problem here. Restarted my computer after dling and installing the new version of my anti virus (vipre) and now im getting this bsod. The anti virus was off before I restarted, so something might of crept in, can't be sure. Anyway, is there a way to fix this? I tried booting to last known good config and it didn't work, safe mode gives me the bsod as well.
Thanks for your time.

Sadly there isnt much that can be done. I highly doubt that an infection got in between the time you downloaded the updated version of Vipre and the time you restarted. Plus an infection doesnt want you to have these issues. They cant get information from you then.
I would wager to guess that it was a bad update from Vipre and sijce you cant use a restore point or Safe Mode there isnt to many options left. Mainly only a reinstall. I would contact Vipre and see if they have had lots of reports about this and have a fix.

Thanks for your responses...sigh KSoD, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear haha.
The code is 0x00000074.
Is there anything that can be done through command prompt? Like restoring my boot file or something?

That's a memory problem. Get Memtest86+ and run it for at least 2 passes. Any errors, one of the sticks are bad. You'd want to try each memory sticks separately.

Well, it's about 50% done and apparently it's found 200k errors (and counting) on cpu1..lol..so..guess i need to replace it. Can I use my laptop with only one stick? How do I even take it out to replace it, where is it lol. I have an Asus n80v core 2 duo.

Yeah, you can use it with one stick. There is normally a compartment on the bottom that covers the two memory slots. Held on by one or 2 small screws.

Thanks for all your help, just one more question. How does something like this happen? My lappy showed no signs of anything wrong until I restarted the computer, and I was only restarting it to finish the antivirus installation, not because there was lag or anything wasn't working.

These things happen pretty much randomly. Could be that they were always bad, but vipre tipped the bowl.

So, RMA that RAM if you can. Otherwise, just get some new RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom