BAD_POOL_CALLER and agp440.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattN

Beta member
Hello, I have a problem. I am trying to fix a friend's Laptop. It was randomly shutting down and giving a Blue Screen with a BAD_POOL_CALLER error and the stop message "0xc2 (0x00000043, 0xC4AD4000 [this one changes] , 0x00000000,0x00000000)."

Now I can't even get into Windows before it give me that error and tries to restart. When I try to get in in safe mode, the computer hangs at "agp440.sys" and gives me the blue screen.

I've run MemTest86 to test the memory and it ran 12 tests and didn't show any sign of stopping or of errors, so I cut it off after 3 hours and assumed that was not the problem.

I tried to run the windows XP repair deal off the install cd, but it blue screened me right after I selected which drive I wanted to repair.

I've searched all over different forums and help sites and there seems to be a lot of people having similar problems, but no solutions anywhere. Threads either end abruptly or the person with the problem buys a new computer. Does anyone have an actual solution that they can post so that myself and the apparently large number of folks with this problem can fix their computers.

I can boot into DOS with a cd so I was wondering if I could copy the agp440.sys file off of my computer and put it on his? Would this work, destroy the computer or am I in the wrong place entirely with this agp440.sys nonsense?

If all else fails, is there a program out there that can burn cds in DOS so that I can get his important files off of there before clearing the hard drive and reinstalling windows? (will that even work?)

Thanks

i looked into it.... your bad pool caller has something to do with either the memory (most likely) and also has been cited to be caused by a faulty power supply (least likely but check into it) But i will look into it some more.

And as far as I know....
This program will allow you to burn under DOS
http://www.freeweb.hu/doscdroast/index.html

If for some reason that fails, you will be forced to find/buy an IDE adapter and use it as a slave drive in your desktop computer. Copy the files from there.

I just had to replace a power supply in another computer here and I think the new one died shortly after. It's in the shop right now. I live in an old coal camp house in Southern West Virginia, so the electrical work may not be quite up to code. Could faulty electrical work cause this? I've only lived in this house 8 months and this is the third computer to die here. When my neighbors moved in shortly after I did, I was trying to help him get a 220 V heater working and he shocked himself clear across the room because I had misplaced faith that taking out the fuses would cut the electricity. Our house has a fairly modern looking breaker box, but most of the outlets only have 2 holes and from what I can tell even the outlets with the third hole aren't grounded. We always run things through a surge protector, but I hear unless they cost $80 all they'll do is cut the power off an instant after it fries your computer.

I tried booting Windows off the disk, and that didn't work, do you think I'll have better luck with the Knoppix? I suppose I'll start downloading it. Something eventually has to work, Right?

thanks,

well after hearing what you just said.... and after you did a memtest with no errors.. I guess the probability of the laptop power system being at fault is high now..

I really dont know how to test the laptop power circuitry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom