Bad PSU or is it a bad mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH3N0M

In Runtime
I have a Dell XPS 710. Yeah, I know, that's my first problem. Anyway, I play COD4 a lot and just yesterday, my rig started hanging up and I'd have to reboot to unfreeze the system.

My specs are as follows:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (x86)
nForce4 590i SLI
Dell 1000w psu
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 @ 3.2ghz
(2) - XFX XXX Edition GTX 260's in SLI (896mb/448-bit)
(4)gb of Dell certified DDR2-667
(2) - 80gb Raptors
(2) - 320gb Caviars
(3) - DVD/CD combo drives
(3) - 120mm fans
(1) - 180mm fan

I've had this pc, second hand, since August and it's never given me this problem until just yesterday. I've already swapped each gpu around and they work just fine by themselves, with no system hangs.

My question, is my mobo going bad or does it seem my psu is beginning to foul out? I'm guess my psu is going out, OR...my PCI-E x16 rail is going bad. Your thoughts?

Check to see if your processor is too hot, with what you described .. it can be quite a lot of things going wrong. It could be as simple as a driver update. I suggest updating all your drivers as well along with checking your temperatures.

My cpu, even under load, stays around 95-110F. I've updated all drivers, I check on a daily basis. My gpu temps stay around 130F under load.

I would say, run some diagnostics, Dells used to come with a diagnostic partition for testing all the hardware on the system, run that on everything, most importantly your HDs, RAM, and all basic Motherboard components, if it turns up nothing then it could be the OS or it might just be a "wait and see" situation, just take a good and complete backup so your not screwed regardless of the actual issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom