Bad power supply/motherboard/harddrive/graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikton

Beta member
Hi,

As you can see from the topic, I'm not really sure what the problem might be, so here comes the description of it.

Whenever I play something that's pretty graphics heavy (Deus Ex, Dead Island and Battlefield 3 Beta being the most recent) my computer crashes in a few different ways. The things that can happen is a normal crash to desktop, game freeze, complete shut down, or any of the first two combined with one or more hard drives not showing up in My Computer afterwards. The system disk never crashes.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling all drivers, and have searched for viruses etc but found nothing. Under heavy load I can also hear something that sounds like a hard drive shutting off. A sort of "click". This happens several times until I turn off the game I play, regardless of where the game is installed (I run some games on my SSD-drive, and some on Steam which is installed on another drive).

My specs are:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti
The main drive is an SSD, the secondary drive is a 7200rpm SATA. I also have two 5400RPM IDE drives connected but not being used. Power supply is 650W (too little?).

I haven't tried to format my computer or any of the drives, as I see that as a last resort. Any ideas what can be causing the problem?

Thanks for any replies.

-Shik

Sorry, should have done that right away.

Here's a screenshot:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4403/screenshottn.png

Motherboard:
ASUS M4A77T

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

RAM:
Kingston Blu DDR3 1333MHz (8GB total)

Main HDD:
Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive

Secondary HDD:
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2

Video card:
Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX

Power:
Z-Series 650W PSU Premium Enthusiast

Also, I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, not Prof if that makes any difference.

It looks like you have a Samsung, Seagate and a Western Digital hard drives. Your cpu core temps aren't being reported but all 3 of the hdd's are running alot hotter than they should be. I live in Florida and my hdd's never get above 30C. This is making me think you may need better airflow.

Ok, I've tried improving the air flow, but still no luck. I've also tried formatting and reinstalling everything to see if that helped, but that didn't work either.

My temperatures should be ok according to what I've read, so I'm really confused about what the problem could be.

Can the GPU cause games to just crash like this? Or would something else happen in that case, like graphical glitches or something?
If the CPU is the problem, what signs should I look for? Could it be the motherboard?

EDIT: Starcraft 2 runs like a charm even on the highest settings, even in multiplayer. I also tried moving Battlefield 3 to my SSD drive, so I don't think the HDD is broken.
Help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom