Bad Power Save Mode Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massling

Beta member
Recently bought 4 months ago a card from Dell. It was an ATI Radeon x1600 512 MB card. Friend of mine who owns the exact same PC brand bought the very same card shortly after I did.

Problem is we both had this same odd power save mode problem occur recently and now I cannot do anything with my PC. Upon boot up of the computer there is no start up screen and the computer monitor power button is blinking off and on with a green light. When I check the status it says " the monitor is in power save mode, activate the computer to remove it".

Problem is the computer isnt responding, no light on the mouse or anything. Only thing I see is a green light on the towers power light but no activity lights at all. On the back of the computer I have a,b,c,d lights, the A and C are yellow which means the system detects it as a video card problem. I just find it a little odd that both of our original cards burnt out at the same time, and now these cards die out at the same time.

I am wondering if it has something to do with mcafee, because we recently both installed a new version of mcafee and we had no problems with the card until AFTER we installed this protection.

I have tried reseating the card and nothing, I have reconnected all cables and nothing as well. I can put in my old card that originally burnt out before I bought this one and it atleast has a picture.

System specs from memory
Dell Dimension XPS 3.0 gig
1.5 gig ram
ATI x1600 512 MB AGP 4x/8x
I had Mcafee with updates installed
Windows XP home edition.

I doubt it has anything to do with McAfee. Do you have the newest drivers for your card? Try downloading annewer or at least different one from the ATI web site. Or use the old card to boot and change the power save mode, then uninstall the old and install the new. I have found that if you don't uninstall the old card before installing the new, you can get some weird issues.

That or, there might be sone GPU issues. You see, have you plugged the ATI power from the card itself to a molex card. Oh and, speaking of power, what Power supply wattage do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom