Bad motherboard?

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
So I just got a FX-8320 and I stuck it in my Asrock 970 Extreme 3. First, second, third boot, no issue.

Then, I touched the bios. Changed the multiplier a bit, and all hell broke loose. Saw the bios splash screen, it was discolored and replaced with black. Computer goes into boot cycle. Nothing happens. Restart? Nothing. Reset bios? Nothing. Reseat everything, tried a different GPU, ram slots, even put the 955 back in. Can't get it to do much more than spin the fans, drives and light up.

Any ideas or should I start looking at motherboards?

Honestly if you're buying a new board then I'd return the 8320 and just do a proper upgrade. If you bought the 8320 off Newegg it's only 20 bucks cheaper than an i5. You'll save that in motherboard alone. Can get a Z97 Anniversary for less than 100.

Well, I know it's a dick thing to do but you could always RMA the board and sell as a combo plus the 955. Make more than enough money to do the jump over.

I've got something figured out now, getting a 990FX board for ridiculously cheap. Long story but it let's me keep money and this'll do me until an overhaul.

So question, what exactly did I break? Did I just brick the bios? Nothing dangerous to other parts, yeah?

Did I just brick the bios? Nothing dangerous to other parts, yeah?

If the computer wont make it past prepost yes you screwed up the bios chip.
Open your case and take a flash light shine it over by the cmos jumpers.
if you see a chip that says bios, make sure the bios chip can be pulled out from leasing it from a lever.
Check google videos on that when my asus and gigabyte mobo went dead I had to do the samething.

Bios chip costed me 25.00 bucks shipped from ebay.
Make sure the bios chip is legit and the programmer knows what hes doing and has a good long rating history.
If not buy from asrock customer service phone support.

Badflash.com sells bios chips too.
Badflash Bad Flash
They used to be cheap....like $12.00 for a chip but demand must be growing for them because they are very pricey now

:/ he would be better off calling asrock for their official bios chip.
In all honesty I go against custom bios chips.
Why you ask, well one its not the official one, two its custom.
Three your more at risk of screwing up the mainboard itself with some other jackals programming.
I didn't realize that with my last asus board and the ethernetport that was suppose to work didn't and many more problems occured in 8 months upon installing.

Let him call asrock and save himself a nightmare and a half of what I went through 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom