Bad motherboard?

35g700

rustle rustle
Sorry if this is hard to follow, I have a bad headache right now.

Tuesday night my computer got a BSOD STOP ERROR 0x000000F4 while idling at the desktop. I restarted my machine and Windows would blue screen on start-up. I tried multiple restore points along with running the built in repair tool and I still had issues. I reinstalled Windows and the problem happened again. I decided to try to install to a different disk drive but now when I try to boot to my Windows 7 USB install drive it gets the BSOD right after showing the Windows flag at start-up.

Things I've tried so far:
-Reinstalling Windows (BSOD on startup after installing)
-Resetting BIOS (Did not fix problem)
-Reinstalling Window again (BSOD when starting the Windows installer)
-Different power supply (Did not fix problem)
-Different memory (4 4GB sticks of CORSAIR vengeance. two sticks are brand new)

I'm pretty sure it's either the Motherboard or CPU and I'm leaning towards the motherboard because from my experience CPU's almost never go bad.

I recently RMA'd my board with ASUS and I don't really want to deal with sending it back again (ASUS support was horrible) so if it is the board I think that I'll just buy a cheap 1155 board and upgrade to an 1150 board when Haswell is released.

All input is welcome :)

BSOD STOP ERROR 0x000000F4 indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated: when such a process or thread is terminated for any reason, the system can no longer function.

Is that the same error code you get every time?

BSOD STOP ERROR 0x000000F4 indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated: when such a process or thread is terminated for any reason, the system can no longer function.

Is that the same error code you get every time?

I'm now getting STOP 0x0000007E when I boot from my install USB.

I get the BSOD from the USB drive right after the "windows flag" comes together is and pulsing.

When I get home I'm going to rebuild my system and remake my USB install drive and try again. I'll have more info about the BSOD after that.

UPDATE:

I rebuilt my system and I tried to reinstall Windows 7 Pro x64. It got past the windows flag and I was able to run the first part of the installer, but after I rebooted the installer would continue but wouldn't make any progress. After an hour of letting the installer go I stopped the install.

I then tried to install Ubuntu 12.10 and for some reason it works. I'm now nearly 100% sure that the problem is with my motherboard.

Try running with different ran configs, i.e. 1 stick at a time. Also, what brand and config do you run your ram in? 2X4GB, 2X4GB, ECT

35g700 said:
I then tried to install Ubuntu 12.10 and for some reason it works. I'm now nearly 100% sure that the problem is with my motherboard.
Did you actually install Ubuntu to the hard drive, or are you merely running it off the flash drive?

Try running with different ran configs, i.e. 1 stick at a time. Also, what brand and config do you run your ram in? 2X4GB, 2X4GB, ECT

I have two identical 2x4GB sets of Corsair Vengeance RAM. I've tried it in every way possible.

Did you actually install Ubuntu to the hard drive, or are you merely running it off the flash drive?

I installed Ubuntu to the same hard drive that I tried to install Windows too.

For now I've got Windows running in Virtualbox.

I think my large heatsink may have caused my motherboard to bend, thus causing things to go wrong. For now I guess I'll just use Ubuntu and run Windows in a virtual machine. I'll probably buy a new motherboard next payday.

Back
Top Bottom